British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Useful tips on Windows for Coin people

A little while ago I posted a tip in response to another thread, which proved very useful to some people here and turned out to be something many were not aware of. It occurred to me that there are other useful tips that can make life easier for coin collectors on here, so I thought I would start a thread.

Here is one that is very useful in dealing with photographs, whether your own or ones found doing research on other sites:

At any point you can create a screen shot of a portion of the screen (as opposed to the whole screen) by pressing the Windows button (the one with squashed window shape usually between "Alt" and "FN" on the bottom row of the keyboard) along with Shift and S. The screen will dull and you can then draw out a rectangle covering whatever are of the screen you want. As soon as you release the mouse button, it copies a screen shot of the area to your clipboard, ready for pasting wherever you want.

If you want to get this screenshot into a .jpg for further use, you can paste it into any picture handling app, or as a second tip into a Word document. If you then "Save As" the Word document as a webpage (.htm, .html) it creates a folder with any images in the document as .jpgs - from where you can copy or edit them wherever you like.

Or, if you have Notifications on, you will see a message pop up in the bottom right of your screen. If you click on this it will open the image in the Microsoft picture editor and you can save it from there. (Default is to save as .png, which is larger and not generally what is used on the web, but you can save as .jpg instead.)

I hope that is useful. Also works as a way of dealing with uncropped pictures on your own machine.

Edited by Paddy
Added alternative save method.
  • Like 2

For reference, the tip posted before was the use of "Ctrl Z" to back track on any mistake you make within Windows. So, for example, if you have inadvertently deleted a block of text, or moved a folder in your email somewhere you can't find it, if you hit Ctrl Z it will backtrack your last action, miraculously amending your mistake. Repeated hits of Ctrl Z will keep backtracking as far as the last Save in that application. (Either a deliberate save or one caused by closing the app.)

So if you suddenly realise you have made a mistake, don't panic and close the app - use Ctrl Z to recover!

On a Mac press Cmd-Shift-4 then draw a rectangle around what you want to capture and release the mouse.

Instead of going to your clipboard, the screenshot is saved to your desktop with the date and time appended.

• Like 1