British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

On 1/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, 1949threepence said:

Being the operative word. 

No Holy Grail fans on this thread then...:-)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

No Holy Grail fans on this thread then...:-)

I missed that one. At the Castle Argh or something similar if i am not mistaken.

• Like 1

We re-enacted it at Ludlow this year:

Screenshot_20210930-151952_Gallery.jpeg.41bbcda1ee44b85297f486fbf074a540.jpeg

• Like 1

All you miss is the helmet Blakey

603B042F-1802-443E-8829-7BC9194E824C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Throws a dead cow

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:59 PM, 1949threepence said:

This 1827 penny was in my opinion, one hell of a bloody bargain for whoever got it - not me I hasten to add, as I've already got one, but decided to keep an eye on it anyway, out of interest. If I'd known this one was coming along, I'd have hung on. Quite noticeable pitting in places, particularly on the obverse. But overall in very good condition and higher grade.

Hope somebody on here got it.

1827 penny

Lovely for detail but clearly polished within an inch of its life. I bought this one on eBay a couple of years ago for £175 inc P&P. They're out there if you're willing to wait.

IMG_20200113_110620.jpg.d7423afddc8b21084c39a379f19d6c55.jpg.791519ed32f7d1efe67e71afc426be99.thumb.jpg.33e8a927747fac7b17157fd6f9b0a3d7.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Lovely for detail but clearly polished within an inch of its life. I bought this one on eBay a couple of years ago for £175 inc P&P. They're out there if you're willing to wait.

IMG_20200113_110620.jpg.d7423afddc8b21084c39a379f19d6c55.jpg.791519ed32f7d1efe67e71afc426be99.thumb.jpg.33e8a927747fac7b17157fd6f9b0a3d7.jpg

That looks good. Do you have a pic of the reverse as well?

• Like 1

No, but will take one when I have time.

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That looks good. Do you have a pic of the reverse as well?

Here you are Mike.

The difference in colour is due to light conditions. There's no difference 'in hand'.

£175 delivered? A cast iron bargain.

1827REV-01.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Here you are Mike.

The difference in colour is due to light conditions. There's no difference 'in hand'.

£175 delivered? A cast iron bargain.

You bagged a real bargain there, Michael. Nice one. 

Edited by 1949threepence

Very pleased to have captured this absolutely superb 1857 Bramah 23a penny (no serif on 7 of date) in not far off UNC condition for a very reasonable sum. There are two very slight marks, one just under underneath the date and the other to the immediate back of the Queen's neck, but apart from that it's flawless. Seller sold as date only example, and to be honest, it would have been cheap even for that.  

bramah 23a obv superb.jpg

Bramah 23a rev superb.jpg

• Like 8

Managed to get an 1831 proof penny (the commoner type with the reverse inverted). It is true to say there is a small but visible edge knock on the obverse side, but that apart the coin is immaculate.

proof 1831 obv.jpg

proof 1831 rev.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/28/2022 at 7:41 PM, Diaconis said:

All you miss is the helmet Blakey

603B042F-1802-443E-8829-7BC9194E824C.jpeg

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Managed to get an 1831 proof penny (the commoner type with the reverse inverted). It is true to say there is a small but visible edge knock on the obverse side, but that apart the coin is immaculate.

Any reason why you don't crop your photos Mike ?

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Any reason why you don't crop your photos Mike ?

I often do Richard - but I need to master the art of getting the two cropped pics the same size. Something I've failed miserably at so far.   

ETA: the 1831 now cropped using photoscape. Note the difference in size:-

proof 1831 obv cropped.jpg

proof 1831 rev cropped.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

I often get the same sort of results but, of course, when you include them in a Word document or on a (Wordpress) web page, you can drag them to be the same size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I often get the same sort of results but, of course, when you include them in a Word document or on a (Wordpress) web page, you can drag them to be the same size.

Thanks for the tip. Appreciated.

Just specify the pixel count you want after you've cropped. Then you can get the pictures the same size, though the slight difference above isn't an issue for me!

• Like 1

Very pleased with this 1918H penny. It's clearly not UNC, but takes pride of place in my collection, for the simple reason that it's an unusually sharp strike for a 1918H, which even "UNC" with full lustre, are often very poor strikes, with all the attributes of a worn coin. This one has a good breastplate and also reasonable hair detail.

sharp strike 1918H rev cropped.jpg

sharp strike 1918 obv cropped.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice there Sir. The real bugaboo is the 19H, which is rarely found with anywhere near decent strike as you well know.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Very nice there Sir. The real bugaboo is the 19H, which is rarely found with anywhere near decent strike as you well know.

Yes, in top grades it now rivals the 18KN.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:32 PM, VickySilver said:

20 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes, in top grades it now rivals the 18KN.

Well, you say that, and I do agree that many 1919H pennies look, not just worn at top grade, but also distinctly blurred. But I did manage to get this nicely struck specimen in February 2019 for just £50. The seller started it at that amount, and I was the only bidder. Had he started it at £0.99, I reckon it would have been bid up more than £50.

nineteen 19H rev cropped.jpg

nineteen 19H obv cropped.jpg

• Like 3

You got an amazing bargain there Mike.

In the old price guides, it used to go:

1919H 1918H then a gap to 1918KN 1919KN

These days it's more likely to go:

1918H then a gap to 1919H 1918KN then another gap to 1919KN

(Talking of EF and higher that is)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

You got an amazing bargain there Mike.

In the old price guides, it used to go:

1919H 1918H then a gap to 1918KN 1919KN

These days it's more likely to go:

1918H then a gap to 1919H 1918KN then another gap to 1919KN

(Talking of EF and higher that is)

Overall, It balances itself out Chris. Some you get as real bargains, others you pay over the odds for.

Having 1919H and 1918KN together is probably about right these days.

• Like 1

Yea, the 1918H trails a bit, although in my experience in being VERY picky the 1919H struck in good metal, of good colour and excellent strike is harder than any of the others. If not as choosy and going down to the gVF sort of category, then I might agree with the above schema. Again, I seem to have found more than my share of KNs of both dates - they IMHO tend to be much better struck than the "H crew". 

The strike of Mike's 19H is really lovely. The TPGs are willing to technically grade softly struck pieces into the 63-65 range - so they may technically be close to as struck but just too soft and sometimes the metal being of poor colour. I suspect that a 19H if well struck and of the best quality could bring a big price, unfortunately moreso if slabbed high.

• Like 1