British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

I wonder where it is now 😉😇.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, copper123 said:

On the subject of edward VIII coins can anyone confirm that when Edward asked for one of the four sets he was turned down by the royal mint , that must have felt like a right smack in the face .

George V would have gone spare if he was turned down .

I remember reading that though maybe it was brother that rejected the offer?

I've noted to myself that the first stroke of the N in ONE helps with the 1909 penny.

8 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

The N in ONE Gary ,both of the uprights is to a gap and another indicator ?

You're correct Pete, inasmuch as it was the N in ONE...

Reverse D both uprights point to teeth

Reverse E the uprights point to a gap

Unfortunately, as I indicated in my original post, if the border is so worn that the position of the 1 cannot be determined, the same problem will probably exist regarding the uprights of the N.

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I wonder where it is now 😉😇.

Jerry

Nice one, Jerry. Neat capture.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, 1949threepence said:

Nice one, Jerry. Neat capture.

I'm laughing at the thought of someone in Weymouth screaming as their auction finished, and the coin making 20 times what they had hoped....:-)

On 4/23/2021 at 4:05 PM, copper123 said:

On the subject of edward VIII coins can anyone confirm that when Edward asked for one of the four sets he was turned down by the royal mint , that must have felt like a right smack in the face .

George V would have gone spare if he was turned down .

Yes, it was definitely the case that he was turned down, but by George VI , not the Royal Mint  - Royal Mint link

The shockwaves were felt in every area of British public life including The Royal Mint, where production of the coinage of Edward VIII had been scheduled to start at 8am on 1 January 1937. The mint was in an advanced state of readiness – reducing machines had begun the process of miniaturising the designs ready for coins and medals. The abdication put paid to these plans and no coins of Edward VIII were ever issued in the United Kingdom. However, there had been time for pattern coins to be prepared, many of which now reside in The Royal Mint Museum, the finest collection of such pieces anywhere in the world. Soon after the abdication, Edward requested a set of the coins but George VI refused. Because the coins had never been issued and not passed through the Royal Proclamation process, they were not deemed to be official.

• Thanks 1

It's no surprise that George VI refused. Since, his brother didn't want to be King, why should he want a set of the coins?

Edward VIII's abdication hurt George VI deeply. Hence he didn't allow the Duchess of Windsor or their future descendants to use the HRH title. George told his staff not to put phone calls from his brother to him. The coins of George VI faced the same way as George V, which simply ignored the fact that Edward VIII faced the "wrong" way.

George VI's effigy was very similar to his brother. The reverses of farthing, halfpenny, penny, shilling were all reused.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:16 AM, Sword said:

It's no surprise that George VI refused. Since, his brother didn't want to be King, why should he want a set of the coins?

Edward VIII's abdication hurt George VI deeply. Hence he didn't allow the Duchess of Windsor or their future descendants to use the HRH title. George told his staff not to put phone calls from his brother to him. The coins of George VI faced the same way as George V, which simply ignored the fact that Edward VIII faced the "wrong" way.

I read recently the request came in 1951 as well.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:14 AM, 1949threepence said:

F.W.K.Gee was a contributor to Coin Monthly in the early days. He wrote an article on Edward VIII pennies in the October 1969 edition. Then he wrote articles on the same topic in the August, September, October, November and December 1971 editions. A five part series.

They were very detailed and informative articles, Jon. No idea what the "F W K" stood for though. 

With regard to the F169, I've never seen one on offer except at auction. I suspect there are one or two more, but difficult to tell as the border teeth are too worn to determine whether the 1 of the date is directly over a border tooth. Funnily enough in the November article, there is an interesting piece on how to determine whether a 169 is a 169 when the border teeth are too worn to otherwise tell. Bit late tonight as I'm practically falling asleep at the keyboard. But I'll dig out that specific article tomorrow, and post the details here.     

On 4/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, 1949threepence said:

Not that, although that may, of course, be something else we need to know about.

Rather than re-typing all the words, here's a photo of the relevant part of the article - from Coin Monthly, November 1971:-

freeman 169 article.jpg

Now that I've got a 169, I thought I would put Gee's 1971 observation to the test, and so bought a 1909 F168 penny of equivalent wear, and compared the two fists of Britannia directly together under a loupe. I can confirm that yes, even with worn specimens, there is a definite and discernible difference between reverse D (the F168) and reverse E (the F169). The outline of Britannia's thumb on reverse E is distinctly more rounded towards the base as it leaves the wrist, than her thumb on reverse D, which is altogether straighter in appearance. It was very obvious under magnification, which surprised me, as I wasn't expecting anything more than the most subtle variation. Now that I've confirmed the differences to my own satisfaction, I also note that it's visible to the naked eye.

The helmet plume on reverse E is slightly shorter, but it's not anywhere near as obvious as the two thumbs.     

• Like 2

Very pleased to have obtained an UNC 1854 PT penny with considerable lustre. 1854's often seem to turn up quite scruffy looking. This one is an exception. I don't think my pics do justice to the lustrous appearance, so I've also included a link to it, which shows the coin as it actually appears in hand.

fenny 1854 PT obv cropped.jpg

fenny 1854 PT rev cropped.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Lovely coin - good buy.

Thanks Richard.

Too lovely a coin - good bye.

In addition to the 1854 PT above, I've now managed to obtain an 1854 OT at below book price, also in UNC with considerable lustre. Really pleased.

Keeping my original scruffier 1854 OT though, as the colon dots after DEF are very close together.  

Ornamental trident 1854 obv cropped 1.jpg

Ornamental trident 1854 rev cropped.jpg

• Like 3

This 1827 penny was in my opinion, one hell of a bloody bargain for whoever got it - not me I hasten to add, as I've already got one, but decided to keep an eye on it anyway, out of interest. If I'd known this one was coming along, I'd have hung on. Quite noticeable pitting in places, particularly on the obverse. But overall in very good condition and higher grade.

Hope somebody on here got it.

1827 penny

Not too bad - was that the one whose entire mintage was shipped to Australia?

• Like 1

Wow, I will say that was a steal. To be fair, it may have been cleaned but it is certainly far better preserved than the average.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

This 1827 penny was in my opinion, one hell of a bloody bargain for whoever got it - not me I hasten to add, as I've already got one, but decided to keep an eye on it anyway, out of interest. If I'd known this one was coming along, I'd have hung on. Quite noticeable pitting in places, particularly on the obverse. But overall in very good condition and higher grade.

1827 penny

"Go and tell your Master that if he gives us food and shelter for the night he can join us in our quest for an 1827 penny"

"Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen - he's already got one. you see..."

"What????"

9 hours ago, Mr T said:

Not too bad - was that the one whose entire mintage was shipped to Australia?

That was the one, and virtually the entire consignment damaged by seawater along the way. 

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Wow, I will say that was a steal. To be fair, it may have been cleaned but it is certainly far better preserved than the average.

Yes, I wondered if it had been sometime cleaned.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

"Go and tell your Master that if he gives us food and shelter for the night he can join us in our quest for an 1827 penny"

"Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen - he's already got one. you see..."

"What????"

Being the operative word. 

14 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

1827 penny

That is ridiculously cheap. It looks like it would retail for at least £500.

• Like 1