British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

Only in plastic sorry which are not the best .

Victoria 1858 MS 63 Slab obverse s - large rose.jpg

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 2

Or possibly thread.

Interchangeable I suppose. They're certainly the best chuckle Ebay have offered me today.

4 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Or possibly thread.

Interchangeable I suppose. They're certainly the best chuckle Ebay have offered me today.

No, you wouldn't post about a genuine e bay bargain in worst offerings. That would be inane, or a mistake. The converse also holds true.    

Dear god, was that really worth the effort? I haven't a calendar in front of me but doesn't British Pedant Day fall in Julember?

Switch it off and come down now Timmy, dinner's ready. 

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Dear god, was that really worth the effort? I haven't a calendar in front of me but doesn't British Pedant Day fall in Julember?

Switch it off and come down now Timmy, dinner's ready. 

Simply disagreeing with your description of the two threads being "interchangeable", Michael. In my opinion they're not.  

After all, if we all decided to randomly, but intentionally, use the thread opposite in meaning to the coin being shown, for no obvious reason, it would soon confuse the OP's intention, which is a bit disrespectful to them (in my view for what its worth - appreciate others may disagree). 

• Like 2

Anyway, I really should have posted this one before, but I got it in May before the thread was started. It's an 1841 colon after reg in NEF/EF, which I picked up from e bay for a very reasonable price. Apologies can't get both sides on the one post as compression not working on my tablet for whatever reason.

colon after reg 1841 obv.jpg

• Like 2

and the reverse. Unfortunately the obverse is a slightly weak strike. 

colon after reg 1841 rev.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Mike, nice ebay find.

The 1841 REG: is paired with an obverse which develops a flaw through the numeral 8 of the date on later strikes, as per the picture below. It then also starts to flaw through the top of the VICTORIA legend. The best example of this that I have seen is the one shown on Richard’s englishpennies website.

What is particularly interesting about this is that the exact same obverse, flawed in identical positions but further deteriorated, is also seen paired with a non REG: reverse. This latter pairing, to my knowledge, is quite a bit rarer than the 1841 REG:

pred.jpg

On 10/31/2020 at 12:51 PM, 1949threepence said:

Anyway, I really should have posted this one before, but I got it in May before the thread was started. It's an 1841 colon after reg in NEF/EF, which I picked up from e bay for a very reasonable price. Apologies can't get both sides on the one post as compression not working on my tablet for whatever reason.

colon after reg 1841 obv.jpg

Apologies for raining on your parade Mike, but that obverse is barely VF (too much wear on the hair, and generally). The reverse is better but I wouldn't rate it much higher than VF.

5 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Apologies for raining on your parade Mike, but that obverse is barely VF (too much wear on the hair, and generally). The reverse is better but I wouldn't rate it much higher than VF.

Believe it or not, Chris, it looks a lot better in hand than on the pic. But irrespective, even at VF, still a bargain for a colon after reg 1841, at £100. 

...also, Britannia has got a complete pair of breasts.... :ph34r:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alfnail said:

Hi Mike, nice ebay find.

The 1841 REG: is paired with an obverse which develops a flaw through the numeral 8 of the date on later strikes, as per the picture below. It then also starts to flaw through the top of the VICTORIA legend. The best example of this that I have seen is the one shown on Richard’s englishpennies website.

What is particularly interesting about this is that the exact same obverse, flawed in identical positions but further deteriorated, is also seen paired with a non REG: reverse. This latter pairing, to my knowledge, is quite a bit rarer than the 1841 REG:

pred.jpg

Thanks Ian - checking mine there is just the faintest hint of a possible die flaw in the same position beneath the 8. Nothing above it. Although you can't see anything on the pic as it's not close enough.. 

I do get the distinct impression that many e bay sellers are somewhat unaware of the different varieties pertaining to pre 1860 Victoria copper pennies. 

Interesting about the die pairing with a non reg reverse, as that would imply the correct reverse was struck first?   

Hi Mike,

Yes, whilst it sounds 'on the face of it' a little strange, I believe that it is true.

On Gouby's website you will note the wording highlighted in yellow below. In addition to the REG Colon low position you can see other identical features on the 1841 Proof and 1841 REG: currency coins, such as the repaired letter which Michael mentions. They both also display thicker BRITANNIAR plume feathers, a feature not seen on any later years.

The reverse die used for this proof is with colon dots after REG: and it is more than likely that when it was finished being used as a proof die it was used to strike the rare 1841 currency pennies also with colon dots after REG:. We know for a fact that it was the proof die that were used for the 1841 currency coins, with colon dots after REG:,  as they are identical in all ways, including a repaired letter

It is therefore probably that only ONE reverse die was ever used to make the proof and then the currency coins.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alfnail said:

including a repaired letter.

The A of BRITANNIAR for those of you that are interested.

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Believe it or not, Chris, it looks a lot better in hand than on the pic. But irrespective, even at VF, still a bargain for a colon after reg 1841, at £100. 

...also, Britannia has got a complete pair of breasts.... :ph34r:

Albert must have been stroking Vicky's hair for a change.

• Haha 1

Very pleased with this 1857 small date penny which has just arrived from the US. Worked out to about £276 which I reckon is a pretty good deal for such a nice item. Not easy to get so good. NGC MS 63, now busted out of its slab.

small date 1857 obv.jpg

small date 1857 rev photoscape.jpg

small date 1857 slab photoscapes.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Very pleased with this 1857 small date penny which has just arrived from the US. Worked out to about £276 which I reckon is a pretty good deal for such a nice item. Not easy to get so good. NGC MS 63, now busted out of its slab.

small date 1857 obv.jpg

small date 1857 rev photoscape.jpg

small date 1857 slab photoscapes.jpg

Lovely!  And a very rare item.........one that NGC got right! 😃

Jerry

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jelida said:

Lovely!  And a very rare item.........one that NGC got right! 😃

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If I can't find a coin that arrived in an American grading company's slab, and busted out,

I start my search by looking behind the poster on the wall....

Managed to get an 1854/3 penny for just £31. Bargain in my view, considering how scare they are.

Many are touted as 4/3, but aren't. This one looks to be the real deal, however. 

link

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Managed to get an 1854/3 penny for just £31. Bargain in my view, considering how scare they are.

Many are touted as 4/3, but aren't. This one looks to be the real deal, however. 

link

Yes, I saw that, does look right, well done.

Jerry

Agree, was watching it too.

I see that Richard has already put it on his rarestpennies site.......he's 'on the ball'.

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Yes, I saw that, does look right, well done.

Jerry

Cheers Jerry.

3 hours ago, alfnail said:

Agree, was watching it too.

I see that Richard has already put it on his rarestpennies site.......he's 'on the ball'.

He certainly is. Was all ready to take a photoscape pic for him to put on there, when it arrived. 

Surprised there was only one other bidder. Just shows that rarity doesn't necessarily equate to demand. 

Although some consider that most of the 1935 pennies were mint darkened, the evidence shows that the normally lustred type form the great majority. So I was pleased to actually obtain a mint darkened specimen off e bay for the princely sum of just 20p !

mint darkened 1935 rev.jpg

mint darkened 1935 obv.jpg

• Like 7