British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

Not quiet ebay but facebook does chuck up the odd bargain. Less so now but 2 to 3 years back they did appear fairly often. This was one of my best buys off there via an auction.

1834-hc.jpg

• Like 8

One of my better purchases on ebay, open auction, 5 bids, got it for £23. Actual ebay picture and one I took of the coin when it arrived.

1862 Reverse.jpg

1861 8 over 6 Rev Pred1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, alfnail said:

One of my better purchases on ebay, open auction, 5 bids, got it for £23. Actual ebay picture and one I took of the coin when it arrived.

1862 Reverse.jpg

8/6 ? Nice !

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:56 PM, alfnail said:

1862 Reverse.jpg

Well spotted Ian. That's a really nice high grade example. 

Very pleased with this 1853 Peck 1503/Bramah 15, intermediate colon penny, which I managed to buy for £135. Like the 1853 PT, it's quite scarce, so to get one in EF for that price, was pretty good. I'd been umming and ahh ing over this one from KB Coins for £295, which is a demonstrably inferior specimen for more than twice the price.

So another instance of an e bay "best offering". 

Bramah 15 rev.jpg

Bramah 15 obv.jpg

• Like 3

Had this fall out of a cheap lot- it's actually got the most lustre of any half crown I've ever had!

Obverse is weak, but the reverse is really pleasing.

P1040458.jpeg.938099d7c15a51026d9eaf81389f04d4.jpegP1040457.jpeg.dee9f6a4234ec5b6a99ea687eaf8ddc4.jpeg

• Like 4

This one was an eBay find - not stupidly cheap, but given the grade and the type (rated VS in Peck) it was probably a lot cheaper than it should have been.

It's not even about getting a bargain. It's just rare to find things in a decent grade on there. This one is an eBay win in my book anyway :) 

If I remember correctly, this was misattributed as a Richmond 1c. I also got a Peck 228 (rated ER in Peck) with Harp mintmark recently and that was also misattributed as a 1c, Peck 170-something. 

c-brit-1625-1634-farthing-richmond-2-quatrefoil-compressor.thumb.jpg.d826956166e210db0889d0075d76ed00.jpg

Edited by damian1986
  • Like 5

That farthing is beautiful.

I bought this a few years ago. Well pleased when it turned up. There's a prooflike quality to the fields that I am unable to capture. 

1887 DF Roman I (3s).jpg

• Like 7

Very nice. The lack of contact marks makes it attractive despite a trace of wear. I have always like the proof-like quality of Victorian currency.

Recently trawling through ebay I spotted something described as a Brussels exhibition medal. These are my bread and butter and with only a few minutes to go I put in a reasonable bid, considering that I didn't recognise it and had no time to research. Happily I got it for a few quid and it arrived today. Took a bit of research but it turns out to be a rareish 1874 Belgian masonic medal worth around £100.

491d.jpg

• Like 3

I appear to be on a roll, but this time I had a better idea of what I was buying. A So Called Dollar from the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exhibition. Under a fiver, happy days. 

Hastily grabbed phone picture, but this American seller's image gives you a better idea.

https://www.ebay.com/c/170373125

492a-horz-ccfopt.jpg

I get bored not buying anything so look for varieties for other collectors to fill gaps or to pass them on to dealers who help me .I found these three the other day and although not the best grades are quite sought after.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUEEN-VICTORIA-PENNY-1861-1D-GREAT-BRITAIN/363050949482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUEEN-VICTORIA-PENNY-1881-GREAT-BRITAIN-UK/363050960017?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Also a 1861 F22 with the T in victoria struck over a higher T.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Penny-1861-UNC-with-some-lustre/114306706652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

OK, I know I should find a picture for best effect (or be able to post it):

Just bought a two coin Br. Honduras lot for USD13.20. In it was a 1954 50c that was usual crappy. The prize was a 1960 25c which is quite scarce to rare in higher (unc.) grades - it was really ugly with what could have been early verd.

HOWEVER, the thing that struck me in pictures was that the rims were sharp (no, not a proof) and representative of what could be a nice unc. specimen. Not to mention a bunch of muck in the devices and lettering. 

Long story short, I cleaned it with ammonia - NO friction, just tamping with cotton buds - and then rinsed it well. Voila! I had what is likely an MS63 or 64 coin. As I had bought the Richard Stuart MS63 example for USD120 or so, this was quite a find. Really more about the difficulty of finding such more than the money.

Perhaps I can email a reader and they can post pictures?? Sold Ebay item: 303634274564

Edited by VickySilver
Add information
  • Like 1

Hi all, just got this from Ebay & invested a tremendous $10 plus shipping. The reason that I am posting is that this is a scarce BH coin, and possibly even rare in higher grades. The pictures on Ebay showed a pretty grungy coin with oxidation and possible issues, BUT it had a very "clean" rim. It was softly struck as usual and not really the best of planchet prep. as I don't think great care was taken at the RM with these (OK, understating the case).
    I also have an ex-Richard Stuart example in NGC63, so nothing to lose...

Here is before and after with apologies in advance for slackluster photos:

Before:
    T2SBicqDSvOJopy39Np49g.jpgI6tAFBqsR1qfpLJVZIil9A.jpg

After:

fullsizeoutput_1c53.jpegfullsizeoutput_1c53.jpegfullsizeoutput_1c4d.jpeg

I took the last at an angle as I was trying to show lustre on a softly struck copper-nickel coin. For sure there are bag marks but under 5x mag, appears that some of the marks in and around the cheek and neck are planchet issues prior to striking.
    Anyway, the point of this is to show that decent coins can be had for not a lot of money.
    Also, some of the colonials are very hard to find well struck or even half way decent appearing during this "late empire" era.

Bonus Run On Material: this was cleaned in light ammonia followed by liberal irrigation with H2O and tamp drying....

Reminder: please take time to look and edges, denticles, etc. on Ebay coins & not to mention those in hand.

• Like 3

Nice score!

Ah, thanks. I just looked at the example on PCGS World Coin pops that is supposed to be 65? Yikes, both of mine clearly better - that coin is NOT acceptable at the grade given.

• Like 1

pennyThis morning I looked at ebay, saw an 1879 small date, very nice, £100.

Almost too good...

Checked out the seller, looked at feedback, went back to it, and it was sold.

It had been on ebay about ten minutes!!

Someone on here is faster than me...sometimes I wish I wasn't so cautious!

I'm still annoyed with myself.

On the way home someone will tell me how the Grand Prix went- I haven't seen it yet..gonna be one of those days....

37 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Almost too good...

On the way home someone will tell me how the Grand Prix went- I haven't seen it yet..gonna be one of those days....

It was only a space filler - says so in the listing. :D

In the Grand Prix some cars drove round and the overtaking was done during pit stops rather than out on the track. Probably. ;)

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Almost too good...

I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago, someone posted a F78 in a/UNC with considerable lustre. The price as a BIN: - just £150 !!!

I spent so long faffing around trying to determine whether it actually was a F78, that by the time I got back to it half an hour later, it was gone - and it definitely was a F78.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Lewis won easy, Verstappen 2nd, Bottas 3rd. No real surprises there, except that Vettel I think made it into the Top 10. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago, someone posted a F78 in a/UNC with considerable lustre. The price as a BIN: - just £150 !!!

I spent so long faffing around trying to determine whether it actually was a F78, that by the time I got back to it half an hour later, it was gone - and it definitely was a F78.    

Was it this one Mike?

1874 F78.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Almost too good...

That started as an ordinary auction, starting price £25.  It was then pulled, reposted as a b-i-n, and sold. Someone I suspect made a behind the scenes deal for the coin at £100 ,  to be listed at a pre-determined time. Bargain for some-one.

Jerry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Lewis won easy, Verstappen 2nd, Bottas 3rd. No real surprises there, except that Vettel I think made it into the Top 10. :lol:

About time, because Vettel's last album was crap....

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Almost too good...

You do have to be sharp . I bought this one on an ebay B.I.N  a couple of weeks back .  F175

1786923355_19131-BF175muleExrarelowspare.JPG.484c8595373f775ee6e17098b83aee41.JPG

• Like 2