British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Diaconis

Ebay's BEST Offerings

Ebay, it's not ALL that bad, is it?

Let's post some coins that we're happy we picked up on that much-maligned den of iniquity.

I'll start.

I picked up this Cromwell shilling in 2002 and I was very pleased with it at the time. I think it has been lightly cleaned at some time but is re-toning nicely. Prooflike fields.

It wasn't a bargain, in fact, double EF book at the time😲. My inexperience led me into an adrenaline-fuelled bidding war.

449055270_ObvEbay-tile.jpg.6c71cb614a98462e70cf2fab1aebbe63.jpg

• Like 1

This appeared at the back end of 2003. The vendor had a reserve on it, which usually means unrealistic expectations. I put in a bid of 600 which I considered reasonable given the only other known example (VF) had sold for £2K a few years before, making this the second known. I picked it up for 500. The underbidder went to 151 hoping for a bargain.

c268-1697y shilling transposed - Copy.jpg

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

Why do I get the feeling that this tread will not be quite as long as the other one? :D 

On a more serious note, it is nice that "best buys" can mean things we really want rather than items that can generate large profits.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Why do I get the feeling that this tread will not be quite as long as the other one? :D

On a more serious note, it is nice that "best buys" can mean things we really want rather than items that can generate large profits.

I don't Imagine it will get nearly as many posts, although I'm not sure about the longevity. Of course the other one is 15 years old now, so whether this one will be in 2035 - who knows?

Anyway, a best offering for me is actually very recent. It's a common enough date, being an 1855 PT penny, but it is in immaculate condition. Pretty much uncirculated with superb toning, and only £50. Bargain.

PT 1855 obv.jpg

PT 1855 rev.jpg

• Like 5

I'd suffered a bad example of a 1948 3d for too many years - my 1946, 49, 50 and 51 were all better! - so when this UNC example turned up for (I think) £39 I just had to have it and my offer of £35 was accepted. It's actually better in hand than the pictures, being virtually BU.

1574403913_1948brass3dobverse.jpg.efd89b82f6e8fe86395c5a25655a9d89.jpg241163736_1948brass3dreverse.jpg.b1efdebacc2ac877d84902a839c33142.jpg

• Like 7

Had this arrive this morning - four quid or thereabouts- high 9? Or high 90?

P1040398.jpeg.861d32d8c637f4f47f7e8a77012fddbc.jpegP1040399.jpeg.0e92775e77e02dea59563e74bc83f31f.jpeg

• Like 5

Uggh, sold it on to Steve Hill when he was at Spink: 1838 proof milled edge sovereign in about 2002 for 1250 pounds & traded it on for a bit more...

Best deal of all time for me on ebay was this in 2005. An 1889/8 halfpenny for £3.56 delivered - from Australia. It ended up being culled in 2009 due to a surfeit of much better 17+S examples.

01729.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Had this arrive this morning - four quid or thereabouts- high 9? Or high 90?

P1040398.jpeg.861d32d8c637f4f47f7e8a77012fddbc.jpegP1040399.jpeg.0e92775e77e02dea59563e74bc83f31f.jpeg

High 90 I'd say.

• Like 1

I've posted these here before but they're probably worth dragging out again for this topic.

Both last year.

1820 inverted 1 6d. GVF, £56. 

1911, Gouby X, 1d. Fine, £1.50 inc. P&P.

1820-inverted.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

Oh, and this 1827 1d. GVF detail, minimal corrosion, £175 delivered.

Earlier this year.

IMG_20200113_110620.jpg

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

1911A.jpg

1911B.jpg

I couldn't resist this one a few weeks back 2£ free postage ,  what could have been, but for some vandal

1167594997_1911hollownecklow.JPG.d44e799881b2e4133f0f088c6cd642ab.JPG

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Like 1

Not sure what you mean Terry.

Those are the seller's photos of the Gouby X I bought for £1.50.

My apologies.

I hadn't seen the additional photo. 

What a shame!

1 minute ago, Michael-Roo said:

Not sure what you mean Terry.

Those are the seller's photos of the Gouby X I bought for £1.50.

Sorry Michael , forgot to add the picture,   senior moment :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

1911A.jpg

1911B.jpg

Michael, Is this 1911 a Gouby-X? It looks like the "I" in BRITT is pointing to the tooth!

No, definitely Gouby X. Look at the number of likes when I first shared it here plus, just in case you're still in doubt, here's an excerpt from a email taken from a recent conversation I had with Michael G himself.

I wish I had your luck or skill in acquiring some of these great coins.
Yes you are the possessor of a 1911 “Hollow Neck” penny – a VERY difficult coin to find !
That was one of my earlier discoveries that I have been pleased to share with the collecting community.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

No, definitely Gouby X. Look at the number of likes when I first shared it here plus, just in case you're still in doubt, here's an excerpt from a email taken from a recent conversation I had with Michael G himself.

I wish I had your luck or skill in acquiring some of these great coins.
Yes you are the possessor of a 1911 “Hollow Neck” penny – a VERY difficult coin to find !
That was one of my earlier discoveries that I have been pleased to share with the collecting community.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Bob Crawford

I stopped by Michael's shop in Notting Hill (before he moved), to deliver a 1877 Narrow Date Penny I had sold to another collector from Great Britain (Cardiff, Wales). It was a real pleasure to meet him in person. My wife and I were touring Great Britain at the time. You have a beautiful country.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Michael, Is this 1911 a Gouby-X? It looks like the "I" in BRITT is pointing to the tooth!

...and of course, Bob, the "I" in BRITT pointing to a tooth, being the definitive hallmark of a Gouby X....

• Like 1

I was contemplating bidding on this on Ebay as an F/E but then decided it was a filled die, what do you think? It went for £50 with 23 bids so I suppose others might have thought likewise.

3d.jpg.c576245fc04fb8452ac0a58dd62f246f.jpg

Edited by Diaconis
  • Like 1

I would go for blocked die, the lower limb of the ‘E‘ looks too attenuated to be the serif of an ‘F’, and why would he have an ‘F’ punch in his hand anyway?

Jerry

• Like 1

You can actually see the lower part of the E so I'd go for blocked die

• Like 1

A very rare token I noticed in a bulk lot last week, paid £15 and there was an EF 1901 halfpenny and some other odds and sods as well. 

unoff.JPG

unoffa.JPG

• Like 7

1896m.png.d53c072e75bbd018613204b0ebadb6ab.png

I think most of us who often look on ebay have found coins cheap , not being attributed or the seller maybe not knowing what they had.

One seller though who does deserve a Hat Off is Mr.Jerrams ,always described properly with good pictures ,quick postage and will accept returns.

I probably get the quickest delivery as he just crosses the road and gives them my daughter straight away 😃

This is one i bought of him a few years ago ,which at the time i didnt realise was as scarce as it turned out to be and was described  by him as " BP1896Ad Wide date GEF and Rare " .

Below is the link for his current listings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/topcarp2/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1