British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

1876-A German 5 Mark with a weird edge

I've been going through my previously purchased coins during lockdown, and I found a very curious 1876-A German 5 Mark. The edge of it looks to have been milled and then edge lettering added to it. I do not have another 1876-A 5 mark to compare with, but my 1876-B 5 mark (and a few later mints of the same type) all show a plain edge with lettering. The weight on it seems to be a bit low (but I'll freely admit my scale was cheap) weighing at 27.5 grams when my reference is showing 27.77 grams (my 1876-B weighs 27.6 grams on the same scale). The diameters between the 2 coins seem to match

Does anyone know what this can be? Wrong planchet error? Something else? Is this a known variety that anyone is aware of? (I neither speak German nor have any English-language German coin references)

0rLJOYY.jpgKzctQSh.jpgURPxVbj.jpgMMGZsF7.jpg55PNSsR.jpgRHTJ3ai.jpgJt8BHeE.jpgqSf9Gh0.jpg

I can't claim any expertise here, and I had never looked that closely at mine, but it does have a plain edge with incised writing, as shown.

The only other comment is that yours seems to had a thicker, and possibly irregular rim? Whether that is part of the same mint blunder or poor fakery, I don't know.

1303507751_Prussia18765Medge.JPG.810c3474772318ff2046e67714a602f9.JPG356769025_Prussia18765M1-horzRed.jpg.eaf9f9eac7ac577c15d09a8f5d5a61ce.jpg

Looks like someone has been messing about.

Kaiser Wilhelm died in 1888, there was a coin/medal produced shortly after with a milled edge, at a guess this is what it’s trying to impersonate, but the date of death would also be on it. My book lists a Hess-Divo auction 27-10-2005 lot 416 if you want to check it out.