British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coinkat

1799 1/2d questions

Do all the known varieties exist in proof? 

2 hours ago, coinkat said:

Do all the known varieties exist in proof? 

There are numerous varieties of patterns, but the only currency 5 ports is quoted by Peck as a proof (P1253). You can get proof-like currency pieces. I have my suspicions though as Peck notes they are all from different pairs of dies. I had one 10 years or more ago that was described as a proof, but wasn't convinced.

Thank you for your reply. I should have more specific. Your answer is addressing the actual variety thar I have questioned... The 5 gunports. The example that I have is sharp with reflective fields  and is more of a chocolate brown with some traces of red within protected areas. It is a fairly attractive but falls short of 65 for those that apply the Sheldon scale in grading. It clearly is PL.... The question is whether it is a copper proof. I just have not seen enough of the proofs in hand to really appreciate the difference

I had one that was listed as such in a DNW sale, but wasn't convinced. Yes it had reflective fields, but fell a bit short including the rims IMO. If it was one, then I've seen plenty that could be considered candidates. It does worry me that Peck says they are all 5 ports but from different current dies, as this leaves open the possibility that they are just early strikes from well prepared dies, of which there must have been many given the output. In my view the jury should be out as to whether they exist, as it's certainly questionable.

I've got half a dozen or more 1799 Soho proof/pattern (call them what you will) halfpennies here and by comparison, the fields and rims on these are much better. For what it's worth, my 7 gunports currency is just as good quality.

I currently own three 1799 1/2. Two were bought raw over 20-25 yrs ago and graded MS65 by NGC. I do not recall which variety they are and I do not believe they were attributed by NGC at the time I submitted them. As I remember, they are attractive for the grade or at least they were then. The one that created the question was purchased within the past year. I bought it because of the strike and reflectivity. And while I was not completely convinced it is a proof, it really had what I would call a special look separating it from others I have seen. And I just don't have all the answers for this date and all the varieties. 

So the time finally has come to ask and collect some thoughts and contemplate whether it is submission worthy.

Again... Thanks for sharing you thoughts Rob