British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Weaver

1967 Spain 100 Pesetas - is this silver?

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a 1966 (67) Spanish 100 Pesetas coin for £6 which is supposed to be 0.800 Silver right?

Well this one looks like very shiny Gold? Almost like it's been electro-plated with gold leaf? 🤨

Have I been diddled??

Or has the coin toned to a Golden hue?

Your opinions please...

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

ResizerImage1191X1132.jpg

Edited by Weaver

It looks to be gilded, but I'm not sure how you can be diddled when something you have bought for £6 has £6.70 worth of silver in it with some free gold on top? Please elucidate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forgive my naivety Rob, I assumed that if indeed the coin was gilded that it would be rendered useless or less desirable?

Also, I didn't know if it was actually silver or not, hence the question about being diddled. I was concerned that it might have been a nickel-brass fake.

Why would the coin be gilded?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

Less desirable for a collector, as they usually try to obtain examples in a suitable natural condition - which gilded certainly isn't. Coins are gilded for fun, or for use in jewelry.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, but it seems in terms of BV value alone that I haven't lost out on the deal right?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

There are differences in the ear which look rather odd along with the double strike at nose and lip. Looks dubious IMO.

Spain2.thumb.jpg.76ef229b394184bbe37cb8198bd6400f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Diaconis.

Modern restrike perhaps?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

24 minutes ago, Weaver said:

Thanks Diaconis.

Modern restrike perhaps?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

Looks like different dies so probably not a restrike. What's the weight? Should be spot on 19g

Hi Diaconis,

Just weighed it and 19g exactly. 

I'm confused now.

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

Not sure why anyone would copy these. A mintage of 15 million will price them only a bit over melt at best. Krause lists them at $18 for MS63, which surely wouldn't be worth copying. The 1969 is noted in Krause as frequently found altered (presumably the shape of the 9), but the total mintage here is a million.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Not sure why anyone would copy these. A mintage of 15 million will price them only a bit over melt at best. Krause lists them at $18 for MS63, which surely wouldn't be worth copying. The 1969 is noted in Krause as frequently found altered (presumably the shape of the 9), but the total mintage here is a million.

Agree, does seem a strange choice of coin to copy though there are differences with Wayne’s coin don’t you think?

• Thanks 1

It's all soo strange.

The postscript to this story is that the seller has offered me a full refund and stated that they thought the coin was a bit suspect due to it's 'odd colour' 🧐

Hmmmmm?

Is this coin destined for the bin people?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

Odd colour doesn't matter how it arose as long as the scrap value is greater than the price paid. But, if in doubt, leave it out and get a refund. i.e. if it doesn't appear to be silver, then get your money back.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob and Diaconis for your support 👍

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)