British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Trebor

Teaching coins by S G Onions

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and am hoping some of you might be able to help. I’m currently trying to locate something that is a bit on the fringe of coin collecting. I am trying to build a set of the S G Onions Teaching coins. I have five currently out of the 10 or 12 that were made, the rest are proving elusive. I was hoping someone might have some ideas on dealers that might stock this sort of thing?

Thanks in Advance 

T

55 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and am hoping some of you might be able to help. I’m currently trying to locate something that is a bit on the fringe of coin collecting. I am trying to build a set of the S G Onions Teaching coins. I have five currently out of the 10 or 12 that were made, the rest are proving elusive. I was hoping someone might have some ideas on dealers that might stock this sort of thing?

Thanks in Advance 

T

Hello and welcome to the forum ! 

Have you tried John Boardman at Whitmore Coins, Tokens and Medals ? He typically has a large number of toy coins in stock...current listing here, but there may well be more unlisted: https://www.whitmorectm.com/toycoins

If you let me know which ones you're missing, I'd be happy to watch out for them. 

J

2 hours ago, Trebor said:

Hi,

Thanks in Advance 

T

I have messaged you a list I abstracted from Rodgers, I have  been collecting theses for years, and still nowhere near finding them all.

Regards

John

26 minutes ago, Chingford said:

I have messaged you a list I abstracted from Rodgers, I have  been collecting theses for years, and still nowhere near finding them all.

Regards

John

Thanks John I really appreciate that, I’ve managed 5, how many have you managed To find? I have a couple of duplicates too. Do you have any spares?

You might find a bit more on World of Coins, Mal is always good for a bit of information. :)

Only found 14 from my list, but a couple of them are RRR, those highlighted or Green I have, the red I haven't as yet.

Most if not all of my spares I sold/swapped to get others, might have one or two left, will look for you over the weekend.

When Rodgers sold his Toy/Model coin collections the majority went to the Fitzwilliam and British museums,  these can be viewed online, the remainder seem to have been bought in bulk by a small number of individuals,  I will message you a list of people I have bought from and  sold to, they maybe will have a few of the more common ones, most are active on Ebay.

Interesting subject and one I know nothing about. A few pictures of some of them would help the ignorant (like me) to know what to look out for. (I would not be competing and would be happy to offer any I found here for you enthusiasts!)

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Interesting subject and one I know nothing about. A few pictures of some of them would help the ignorant (like me) to know what to look out for. (I would not be competing and would be happy to offer any I found here for you enthusiasts!)

I haven't got my  collection imaged unfortunately, but the link above shows Mals collection which is complete for denominations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

You might find a bit more on World of Coins, Mal is always good for a bit of information. :)

Thank you I’ll take a look

2 hours ago, Chingford said:

Only found 14 from my list, but a couple of them are RRR, those highlighted or Green I have, the red I haven't as yet.

Most if not all of my spares I sold/swapped to get others, might have one or two left, will look for you over the weekend.

When Rodgers sold his Toy/Model coin collections the majority went to the Fitzwilliam and British museums,  these can be viewed online, the remainder seem to have been bought in bulk by a small number of individuals,  I will message you a list of people I have bought from and  sold to, they maybe will have a few of the more common ones, most are active on Ebay.

I have had a look on the Fitzwilliam site before and went back to remind myself of the denominations The other day but it’s been taken down for a security upgrade. I’d appreciate if you could have a look to see if you have any duplicates left I’ve struggled to add anything in the last few years so any good contacts would also be appreciated. I have an alert for eBay but there been nothing recently.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Hi Paddy,

If you take a look for this item on eBay 353090348200, it’s the most common one but they are all the same format. They have the denomination on the back and how many of that denomination go to make another. In this example it’s 12 pennies make a shilling.

• Like 1

I see your name is Trebor. Have you ever been employed at the Mint?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I see your name is Trebor. Have you ever been employed at the Mint?

Lol no but they are my favourite type

• Like 1