British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
bagerap

Medieval bronze pin restoration.

I was working on some ormolu clock mounts for a client when I remembered this pin. It had been on my desk for years and I already had the tools out, so why not.

It's an onion head bronze cloak pin, probably from around 900-1100 CE and was dug in the New Forest around 30 years ago.

First I soaked it in lemon juice and gave it a light scrub with a worn toothbrush. Then a go over with a nearly threadbare wire brush, the more shagged out the better in these circumstances.

Next comes an initial polish with a series of rubber discs and rods, followed by a light spin on the buffing machine. This is the tricky part because I don't want to end up with something that looks brand new. Bronze is a wonderful material because it polishes up as shiny yellow as gold, imagine Bronze Age armies lined up for battle with their armour glinting in the sunlight. I just wanted this piece to show its natural beauty without looking like it had just been made.

What do you think?

pin.jpg

• Like 4

What a lovely piece👍🏽

I wouldn’t have gone past the lemon juice stage myself,   but still looks great all buffed up. Well done.

Cannot see any difference between the pics , were the later cleans pointless ?

Was the wire brush steel?  Brass brushes work wonders, particularly if you choose the correct one as

regards the softness....

Soft brass brush in this case, sometimes use a slightly firmer nylon bristle.

Exactly.  You have to work out whether the sides of the bristles are knocking off deposits that will crumble bit by bit,

or the tips are eroding a deposit slowly, therefore requiring a bristle whose material hardness lies between the hardness

of the deposit and the metal substrate.  That's why brass works so well on bronze, but is a big no no for copper.....