British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Weaver

Coin capsule sheets of foam ring inserts - are they safe?

Good day knowledgeable ones 😁

Ok, so I managed to acquire about 60 x new old stock Lindner capsules in mixed sizes (still boxed) but no foam inserts 😢

These sheets of foam ring inserts are available on Ebay - click here

But are they safe?

Your opinions please...

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

The foam product is unbranded and so one can't be totally certain if they are "safe". The branded equivalent is "airtite" and they are £1.99 for five including the plastic capsules. 

Coin gallery states "The genuine Airtite rings are made from Volara and are completely free from PVC and other harmful chemicals ensuring your coins can be safely stored."

If the coins are VF, then I think they can just go into the capsules without the foam in many cases. E.g. if a VF penny has diameter 30.86 mm, then a 31mm is fine. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Sword or anyone, what size Quad will I need for a modern £5 Crown? 

Is it 39mm?

Or 38mm?

Cheers,

Wayne

The foam stretches a bit and so I think it is best to round down to the nearest mm.

38.61mm diameter £5 would go in 38mm. Then it would be a nice tight fit with no possible movement. However, it can be a tricky to get the coin in until you have some practice with using quadrums.  My method is to put the crown on a flat surface such as a book. Position the foam so that the the bottom of the coin is in the hole.Then hold down two corners of the foam and stretch the top to get the whole coin in. You should be able to do this without touching the coin. You can then carefully flip the foam over with the coin still in. (Take care so that the coin does not drop out!) Then push the coin in position using a clean micro fibre cloth. Have a blower ready to blow away dust on the inside surfaces of the quad before closing it. (The inside of quads often needs a quick wipe with a mirco fibre cloth follow by dust removal with a blower). It's easier to get a crown into a 39mm quad of course but it won't be such a tight fitting.

• Like 2