British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Anybody know how LCA plan to handle their June auction?

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

They must hate having to do that. :lol:

If I bid for anything live, I'll make sure I video it for evidence, in case of any funny business afterwards.  

• Like 1

How does Easylive work - is there actually a live auction with an auctioneer taking online bids in real time with sound/vision ?

19 minutes ago, secret santa said:

How does Easylive work - is there actually a live auction with an auctioneer taking online bids in real time with sound/vision ?

Good question. The mechanics of such events are very often not explained.

I went into the easy live site a few minutes ago, and investigated so as to ascertain the precise position. It would appear that there are live auctions of various types every day, and they are listed. I went into one at random, and it is a live auctioneer who you can see and hear going through the bids. 

One thing I did notice is that even if you've already "registered" on the site and they have your details, you have to click "register" again on the individual auction, in order to bid in that auction. It's a bit confusing as when you see "register to bid", your first thought might be that you've already registered. If they must choose this rather circuitous route, it might be more logical to say "click here to verify personal details in order to bid on this auction", rather than employ confusing terminology.

link to an auction taking place live now   

To clarify further, and slightly bad news I fear.

There are 3 auction types on Easylive:

1. "Live" Auctions - here you can get live audio and sometimes video of the auction in progress, bids are immediate and truly "live" as if you were in the room.

2. "Timed" Auctions - this is a bit more like Ebay. Bids are accepted in advance and the system processes these and bids on your behalf. The lots end at fixed intervals from the auction start time onward. No audio or video.

3. "Catalogue" Auctions. Here the bids are passed to the auctioneer to use on the day. Quoting from the Easylive website: "This auction will not be broadcast live. You'll still be able to leave absentee bids that will be sent through to the auctioneer to use on the day of the sale."

Surprise surprise, LCA has gone for the latter, so it sounds like they will have a list of maximum bids in front of them, with the potential for misuse still there.

I will no longer be bidding.

215F1A35-4103-4DF1-9963-5BA24DE935A2.thumb.jpeg.b4892f3633532ef52999a4ef6231783e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Paddy said:

1. "Live" Auctions - here you can get live audio and sometimes video of the auction in progress, bids are immediate and truly "live" as if you were in the room.

2. "Timed" Auctions - this is a bit more like Ebay. Bids are accepted in advance and the system processes these and bids on your behalf. The lots end at fixed intervals from the auction start time onward. No audio or video.

3. "Catalogue" Auctions. Here the bids are passed to the auctioneer to use on the day. Quoting from the Easylive website: "This auction will not be broadcast live. You'll still be able to leave absentee bids that will be sent through to the auctioneer to use on the day of the sale."

Surprise surprise, LCA has gone for the latter, so it sounds like they will have a list of maximum bids in front of them, with the potential for misuse still there.

Well spotted Paddy. That's a bit disappointing to say the least. 

57 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Nothing to do with individuals' viewpoints, but I'm not sure what useful function easylive provides in the case of '3'. Why would anybody place a commission bid through them with their fee on top compared to sending a list of commission bids directly to the auction house. When you employ a dealer or whoever to bid on your behalf who then charges a commission for any lots purchased, you can at least say that the lots have been viewed in advance by the dealer, who has acted on his reasoned opinion. Easylive are not providing this service.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Nothing to do with individuals' viewpoints, but I'm not sure what useful function easylive provides in the case of '3'. Why would anybody place a commission bid through them with their fee on top compared to sending a list of commission bids directly to the auction house. When you employ a dealer or whoever to bid on your behalf who then charges a commission for any lots purchased, you can at least say that the lots have been viewed in advance by the dealer, who has acted on his reasoned opinion. Easylive are not providing this service.

I think the facility is more useful to e.g. general antique dealers who don't want the hassle of having to register to bid on various sales independently if they're only planning to bid on one or two low value items. 

Semra confirmed this morning that they're offering phone bidding. 

1 hour ago, JLS said:

Wow.......

3 hours ago, JLS said:

They are not exactly telling many people about this. I suspect the phone lines will be rather quiet. 

1 hour ago, Sword said:

They are not exactly telling many people about this. I suspect the phone lines will be rather quiet. 

Well, I've inquired by return e-mail about how to do it, and heard back nothing, so I'll probably just give them a call tomorrow. If possible it would rather nice to find out what other people have bid before making up my mind ! 

16 hours ago, JLS said:

Well, I've inquired by return e-mail about how to do it, and heard back nothing, so I'll probably just give them a call tomorrow. If possible it would rather nice to find out what other people have bid before making up my mind ! 

I'm guessing there probably aren't that many phone lines, maybe in the region of 1 or 2, so for any popular coin, you might not have much of a chance of making a reservation. Besides' if the person on the telephone is bidding for someone else a lot or two before they won't have time to phone you before your coin comes up.

Hopefully these are the worst case scenarios, I've never phone bid personally, so good luck!

8 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I'm guessing there probably aren't that many phone lines, maybe in the region of 1 or 2, so for any popular coin, you might not have much of a chance of making a reservation. Besides' if the person on the telephone is bidding for someone else a lot or two before they won't have time to phone you before your coin comes up.

Hopefully these are the worst case scenarios, I've never phone bid personally, so good luck!

Given my collecting (and dealing) interests, the chance that anything I bid on is popular on what is likely a poorly attended auction seems rather remote ! But we'll see. 

Is EasyLive the one they have on Bargain Hunt?

I have heard them mention "Saleroom" on Bargain Hunt several times, so I assume this is Saleroom.com. The choice is up to the auctioneer, so I imagine some also use Easylive. I know a lot of auctions now have both going independently, with room bidding, phone bids and commission bids it gets quite complicated for the auctioneer!

On 6/5/2020 at 6:47 PM, JLS said:

Did you manage to arrange any phone bidding? Let me guess: no it didn't happen. 

I emailed them to see if I could arrange a phone bid, no reply.

so

how is today being conducted ? Is there a live stream of it 

2 hours ago, mhcoins said:

I emailed them to see if I could arrange a phone bid, no reply.

so

how is today being conducted ? Is there a live stream of it 

No. 

To quote from, and courtesy of Paddy's post from Friday at 11:17am, there are three types of EasyLive auctions:-

LCA have chosen option 3, which merely shows the items. It's actually no different to just looking at the same coins on their website. 

Don't even know what they've fetched.  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

No. 

To quote from, and courtesy of Paddy's post from Friday at 11:17am, there are three types of EasyLive auctions:-

LCA have chosen option 3, which merely shows the items. It's actually no different to just looking at the same coins on their website. 

Don't even know what they've fetched.  

they could have at least offered a live stream on FB or Twitter 

I am not certain if there is anything "live" to show if there is no phone or online bidding. 

5 hours ago, Sword said:

Did you manage to arrange any phone bidding? Let me guess: no it didn't happen. 

Yes and it was relatively straightforward, I won 6 lots ! 

If that's not a sarcastic response, then good for you!

27 minutes ago, JLS said:

Yes and it was relatively straightforward, I won 6 lots ! 

glad at least someone did, how were there phone bids if there wasn't a live sale ?

3 hours ago, mhcoins said:

they could have at least offered a live stream on FB or Twitter 

That would be not much use to The Enlightened.....

Did coins sell for less than expected? If so, then that's to be expected in lockdown, where you won't have a packed saleroom,

so why put coins into an auction at the moment?