British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Anybody know how LCA plan to handle their June auction?

I think that there will be a lot of bargains and a lot of unsold lots. Hopefully some coins that i/us here, want to buy.

49 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

I think that there will be a lot of bargains and a lot of unsold lots. Hopefully some coins that i/us here, want to buy.

Possibly, although DNW has seen a brisk trade in their recent auctions.

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Does anyone else feel that, coming from a "General Manager", this is a completely unprofessional response made with little or no regard to the question asked?

I'm not sure it's any better than no response at all. :rolleyes:

Maybe she's practicing for when she goes into politics - she's perfect to be part of the Covid Response Briefings....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Maybe she's practicing for when she goes into politics - she's perfect to be part of the Covid Response Briefings....

In that case, "next slide please" :ph34r:

• Haha 1

You would think they would be pleased with people showing an interest in the auction

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

Thanks Pete, no coins for me, but unexpectedly they have a banknote I want. 

Nothing of any interest for me this time. I'd have probably gone after the 1839 proof penny, but when compared to much better specimens at much lower prices in previous auctions, I ruled that one out. Yet another case of "slab enhancement".   

Have to use care, some very nice sans slab and others not so much. Same for slabs as pictures not always showing how it looks in hand...

About 10 days to go, and the auction is still (apparently) going ahead as normal at the Grange Hotel, with the public in attendance - link 

Extraordinary that not one word has been said about the lockdown, and what other arrangements are in place, so close to the event.  

I emailed Semra a week or two ago saying I assumed it would be a commission-only auction and she confirmed that it would. Also, the hard copy catalogue makes no mention of the Grange Hotel.

33 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I emailed Semra a week or two ago saying I assumed it would be a commission-only auction and she confirmed that it would. Also, the hard copy catalogue makes no mention of the Grange Hotel.

If I were a consignor I wouldn't be happy, I imagine prices will be somewhat depressed. 

Also the paucity of photographs is going to be an issue for a lot of the larger lots etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Thanks - useful info, but although that was obviously going to be the case, I'm just surprised it wasn't actively mentioned anywhere. Maybe she thinks it's so obvious it doesn't need referring to. She may be right.

Of course, no in room competition and no real time internet bidding does alter the dynamics somewhat.  

Also, don't make the mistake of browsing the catalogue on a sunny day like I did last week.

The sun heated the spine, melted the glue, and the whole thing fell to bits.....

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Also, don't make the mistake of browsing the catalogue on a sunny day like I did last week.

The sun heated the spine, melted the glue, and the whole thing fell to bits.....

Cheap rubbish. They should be able to withstand a bit of Sun without falling to pieces.

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Ahh...you've got the "Icarus" edition. :D

• Haha 5

Interestingly, the fees on Easylive are 17% + VAT, so 20.4%, not the usual 17% including VAT. Nice that they are on the site though, thanks Paddy.

40 minutes ago, Paddy said:

That does seem to be it.

Obviously many potential bidders will be completely unaware as it's not flagged up on the LCA website. Or if it is, it's incredibly well hidden. 

Thanks for the heads up Paddy

It does appear that LCA is not keen to "advertise" the potential live bidding. We have received 3 e-mails from them and the latest one arrived just half an hour ago. Not a word of mention about the Easylive platform. 

2 minutes ago, Sword said:

It does appear that LCA is not keen to "advertise" the potential live bidding. We have received 3 e-mails from them and the latest one arrived just half an hour ago. Not a word of mention about the Easylive platform. 

Certainly comes across that way doesn't it. 

I have not bid at LCA for several years. The way that lots always seem to go at a maximum bid has put me off - I feel I am being taken for a mug. I may bid through Easylive as at least that way the auctioneer has no knowledge of the limit of my bids until executed live in the auction.

• Like 1

I just thought about the start of that classic Abbott and Costello sketch, Buck Privates.

Shady street vendor Bud asks his shill Lou how much money he has, "I have in the vicinity of twenty-eight dollars, in the vicinity", Costello replies, "but in the neighbourhood, I got three bucks. And when you smoooooooth it all out, I got a dollar".

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have not bid at LCA for several years. The way that lots always seem to go at a maximum bid has put me off - I feel I am being taken for a mug. I may bid through Easylive as at least that way the auctioneer has no knowledge of the limit of my bids until executed live in the auction.

Also you can be pretty much sure that the final hammer price is correct. 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, 1949threepence said:

Also you can be pretty much sure that the final hammer price is correct. 

They must hate having to do that. :lol: