British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Weaver

How can I sell 10Kg of old pennies?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure you've all been asked this before, but can anyone tell me where I can sell or trade-in approx 10Kg of mixed date GV/GVI & EII pennies and halfpennies?

Yes I could tile my bathroom floor with them😂 but I would rather sell them or even better trade them in for a single decent grade coin.

Serious ideas please...

Cheers,

Weaver (wayne)

Hi Weaver. Maybe M J Hughes? They seem to show that they take scrap coins on their website. 

• Like 1

I had 44Kg of the same sort of stuff before Christmas. After trying lots of different avenues, including here, I ended up taking it to the scrap man in town - I got £3.30 per kilo for it.

I can sell a few at the markets when they are open - but only at 10p per coin to non-collectors or newly started ones. However, I still get more in as make weights in job-lots at auction than I can ever sell. I have already built up another 15Kg in spares! That is why dealers are so loth to take any more on.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Hi Weaver. Maybe M J Hughes? They seem to show that they take scrap coins on their website. 

Thanks mate, I will check them out.

I live in a small flat and moving soon after lock-down, so I need to make some space.

Cheers,

Weaver (wayne)

25 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I had 44Kg of the same sort of stuff before Christmas. After trying lots of different avenues, including here, I ended up taking it to the scrap man in town - I got £3.30 per kilo for it.

I can sell a few at the markets when they are open - but only at 10p per coin to non-collectors or newly started ones. However, I still get more in as make weights in job-lots at auction than I can ever sell. I have already built up another 15Kg in spares! That is why dealers are so loth to take any more on.

Thanks Paddy.

I just want the lot gone really, so perhaps a visit to the scrap man in town is the only option?

Cheers,

Weaver (wayne)

43 minutes ago, Iannich48 said:

Just rang them and they only take scrap gold or silver coins.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

There must be some way of turning the 10Kg hoard of old pennies into even a few quid?

Any other suggestions?

Surely you experienced collectors have been there in the past? How did you dispose of your bulk load of old bronze?

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

If Paddy got £3.30/kg and you have 10kg, that's £33 by my reckoning, which is £30 more than the few quid indicated in the previous post. The (time consuming) alternative is to go through them all, and pick out the ones you think might realistically sell for more than the nominal 3p per coin after costs and put them on ebay. They will be in good company there as they will blend in quite nicely with the mountains of crap already listed. Dealers would happily take them if there was a good premium to be made over scrap - but usually there isn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe get some of the whitman folders or similar and take out decent ones to fill the folder with a date run.

Doing it that way you will get much more than scrap and sell 20/30 coins in one go on ebay.

Obviously check the coins first to see if the folders are worth buying 😃

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

If Paddy got £3.30/kg and you have 10kg, that's £33 by my reckoning, which is £30 more than the few quid indicated in the previous post. The (time consuming) alternative is to go through them all, and pick out the ones you think might realistically sell for more than the nominal 3p per coin after costs and put them on ebay. They will be in good company there as they will blend in quite nicely with the mountains of crap already listed. Dealers would happily take them if there was a good premium to be made over scrap - but usually there isn't.

Thanks Rob.

I would be happy with £30 for the lot actually.

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

53 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Maybe get some of the whitman folders or similar and take out decent ones to fill the folder with a date run.

Doing it that way you will get much more than scrap and sell 20/30 coins in one go on ebay.

Obviously check the coins first to see if the folders are worth buying 😃

That's an interesting idea.

I think I only have enough combinations to make 3 or 4 full date runs (minus the rare dates of course), but worth a go.

Any other ideas people?

Weaver(wayne)

Scrap man it is then. Added bonus is that he doesn't complain he hasn't received them or leave negative feedback, and it's solved the problem in the minimum time.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rob said:

Scrap man it is then. Added bonus is that he doesn't complain he hasn't received them or leave negative feedback, and it's solved the problem in the minimum time.

That's true! I have never attempted to buy or sell coins on Ebay due to high selling fees etc.

When you take into account negative feedback headaches etc...😫

BTW everyone...

I have now weighed everything and it’s as follows:-

4.5Kg – mixed halfpennies

5.5Kg – GV pennies

4.5Kg – GVI pennies

6.3Kg – mixed brass threepences in an old bank bag!

20.8Kg total weight

You will probably get a little less for the brass than the bronze. Try calling your local scrap man to discuss before you commit to a trip out - whenever that is deemed legitimate!

Still looks closer to £60 - and a lot less hassle than trying to sell on Ebay.

• Like 1

@Zo Arms would you be interested in Weaver's offer.

I know you sort through mass bronze Bob, looking for the odd rarity. 

ETA: I note that Weaver is South Coast area like you.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

You will probably get a little less for the brass than the bronze. Try calling your local scrap man to discuss before you commit to a trip out - whenever that is deemed legitimate!

Still looks closer to £60 - and a lot less hassle than trying to sell on Ebay.

Thanks Paddy!

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks for the shout out Mike...

Let's see if we get a reply?...

Cheers,

Weaver(wayne)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thanks for the thought Mike.

Offer made.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Thanks for the thought Mike.

Offer made.

Thank you to everyone who responded with ideas.

The bronze accumulation will now find a new home with Zo Arms! 

I love this community!

All the best,

Weaver(wayne)

• Like 1