British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Did the CGS numbers reconfigure?

I have been out of the loop for a long time...do I remember it correctly that CGS reconfigured their grading against other grading scales, or was that just a dream I had?

Is there a difference between the early and ‘late’ graded CGS pieces? I guess this is the question I’m asking!

I’ve always been passionate about hammered, so never closely followed the grading posts!

CGS hasn't changed their numerical system. It is still 1-100. But they have removed the prefix grades from their numbers. E.g. they used to give grades such as CGS AU78. Now it is simply CGS 78. (Their reason being that there could be grade inflation over time but claim their numerical standards do not change. Hence, they are saying that their 78 (AU, 10 years ago) is now what market would now consider UNC). Of course CGS is now called LCGS.

Exactly the answer I was looking for...thank you so much! 

IMO CGS along with other TPGs would be better employed in maintaining consistency in their grading practices.

Edited by ozjohn
Typo

30 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

IMO CGS along with other TPGs would be better employed in maintaining consistency in their grading practices.

Yep. That's why I use a two point system - acceptable or not. The number on the slab might attract your attention, but ultimately you look at the coin and say yes or no.

• Like 4