British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jon Hill

Charles II Farthing

Guest Jon Hill

Hi,

I have a Charles II farthing, the date is unreadable but on the obverse the last "O" of "CAROLO" is above the ribbons and not between them as on all the others I have seen, the lettering would appear to be of a smaller size than usual, any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon

Any pictures...coins with no date are usually quite hard to date...could be 1672 (BMC 520) where the O seperated from the tie ribbon...

Unfortunatley coins which had a date but alas have lost them over the years are usually scrap.

I've got a few seemingly nice Ch11 1/4d's with nice obverse but unreadable dates...might as well drill em and use as washers. :huh:

Edited by Peter

I've got a few seemingly nice Ch11 1/4d's with nice obverse but unreadable dates...might as well drill em and use as washers. :huh:

Well they may aswell be used for something :D

Try putting them in a vending machine and see what happens! My friend at school did that with a couple of Elizabeth II/George VI coins once. He wrapped them in foil and the machine accepted them as £1. However, the machine was very old, and when you ordered a can of diet coke for £1, you got the drink, but you also got the £1 back! ;)

There's an idea... i've been trying to ditch some farthings for a long while!

Melt em!

Melt em!

wuhaha... :D

I'm not sure the gas hob could manage it...

I understand vending machines will often accept coins from the channel islands, Gibraltar, Falkland islands etc... but it's not really appropriate.

Well they're all legal tender anyhow.

Farthings ain't. Plus i like the thought that i might inspire a new collector somewhere along the line.

I had quite a lot of fun one afternoon experimenting with coins and fire/ovens. I had some quarters left over from a holiday so I messed about by putting them in flames and burning the copper off, and getting lovely green flames in the process. I also tried (and failed) to AT some in the oven using allsorts of household chemicals, to no avail.

i'm all up for quarter burning. :D

Well they're all legal tender anyhow.

Apparently not, but they are often accepted anyway. That seems to be true for at least the channel islands and the isle of man. I don't know about the status of places such as Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands.

The most authoritative references I could find were travel information websites...