British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Weaver

Coin dealers in Dorset/Hampshire

Hi everyone,

Ok, this is the deal...

Since 1987 I have hoarded over 2000 coins from GB and the World.

This pesky Covid-19 lock-down has encouraged me to start a proper inventory of the 'hoard' 😂

My ambition is to progress from coin hoarder and take all the lower grade coins (about 1950 of them!) to a dealer and hopefully get a 'trade in deal' on a couple of choice coins.

So, firstly I live in Wimborne, Dorset and I have made contact with Terry and Ernest Parsons of the Dorset Coin Co. in Poole. They are BNTA members and have been trading for donkeys years. 

Does anyone here trade with them?

Good or bad experience?

Also, it's bizarre but my surname is Ingram, and I notice that a dealer near me in Southampton is called R.Ingram coins. Any good?

Is my strategy to sell the 'hoard' a good idea? Or am I likely to get ripped off?

Honestly though, the majority of my coins bar 50 of them are pretty standard pieces IMO.

Anyway...

Your thoughts please...

All the best,

Weaver (wayne)

I live about ten doors away from Dorset Coins and they're good people but they're unlikely to want a big pile of lower grade coins.

Thanks for your reply bagerap.

Terry from Dorset Coins has told me to bring everything to them after the Covid-19 lock-down restrictions have been lifted. 

I did ask if they had an outlet for lower grade coins, and he confirmed.

But...

If not Dorset coins then...is there a better way to move on my 'hoard' of lower grade coins?

Cheers,

Weaver (wayne)

If there is some better material among the 2000 pieces you could see if DNW were interested (perhaps split up by geographical period etc.), the fees will take a bite but they can achieve really good results with even mediocre bulk lots in my experience. 

George Jones in London normally buys bulk lots of coins of pretty much any quality for reasonable prices, although I doubt he's doing much business given COVID19, I can see if I have his business card somewhere if you want. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JLS said:

If there is some better material among the 2000 pieces you could see if DNW were interested (perhaps split up by geographical period etc.), the fees will take a bite but they can achieve really good results with even mediocre bulk lots in my experience. 

George Jones in London normally buys bulk lots of coins of pretty much any quality for reasonable prices, although I doubt he's doing much business given COVID19, I can see if I have his business card somewhere if you want. 

Thanks JLS you're a star!

Give me an idea of what you mean by 'some better material'? Can you give me a few examples please?

I really want to offload 95% of my collection which is all pre-decimal and global.

To be honest I want to keep any pieces at EF or better, but there will be plenty of VF and F as well as a bulk load of worn coins.

I would say that a beginner or early novice would love sorting through it all.

All the best,

Weaver (wayne)

Hmm, that last bit made it sound as though you might be looking for the silver as people not lining up for dross. Here's to hoping there are some nice bits hidden in there...

• Like 1

Dont forget "paddy" he's not that far away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Dont forget "paddy" he's not that far away

Thanks for the promotion!

Usually I would be keen to get involved as I normally visit Dorset regularly to see my father, but in the present situation I cannot.

I am also a little reticent to get in much bulk low grade stuff until we see how the market goes once restrictions are lifted. I suspect I will be inundated with people shifting their low grade collections in order to release much needed funds, and there will also be fewer people adding to their collections for a while. (High grade stuff always finds a home, but low grade needs the enthusiastic amateur with money to spend...)

I suspect @Weaver would do better selling at a local auction where there is a good chance of getting direct to a new collector - Elliotts in Wimborne or Cottees in Poole would be my choices.

I won't say anything directly about selling to the Ingrams, because I have had no direct dealings with them, as long as @Weaver has taken time to read the previous discussions on the subject of that particular dealership.

Edited by Paddy
Added clause
  • Like 1

I’ve known Ernie for about 40 years .. never had a problem with him ... 

• Like 1

Very diplomatic on the commentary there Paddy. I concur, please do look at other commentary on the dealer mentioned.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JLS said:

I would be vary wary of DNW at the moment with uncatalogued lots. They have recently sold Hiram Brown's collection of copper and bronze and they parcelled many of them into multiple lots with no regard for the content. If care had been taken to catalogue the individual coins, they would probably have doubled the price paid. Your coins are almost certainly not of the same quality as Hiram's but I imagine DNW would only offer them in bulk lots.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone chipping in with suggestions and comments.

just to be clear, I am not looking for a cash sale! I would prefer a strategy of trading in my lower grade collection for an existing dealers stock.

I am hoping that this strategy is preferable for the dealer as straightforward exchange deal.

Best wishes.

Weaver (Wayne)

3 hours ago, Jamess22 said:

Thanks James! This is good to know.

cheers,

Weaver (Wayne)

10 hours ago, Jamess22 said:

Agreed. Dorset Coins were a very welcome table at the Midland in the 90s, and Ernie was always friendly and obliging.

• Like 1

His son Terry is mostly running the shop now, but I've often seen Ernie cycling from the shop back home to Bournemouth.

• Like 1

Well, Terry has invited me to the shop once the Covid-19 lock-down is lifted, so let's see if I can achieve a trade-in deal with them.

• Like 1

If it's after lock-down, may I recommend a pint in the Barking Cat two minutes away from Ernie's.

• Haha 1

Is that a genuine invite bagerap? 

All the best,

Weaver (wayne)

Absolutely. I can also be found in the Oddfellows from time to time.

Well then, if you frequent the Oddies then you probably know my neighbour Valerie?

It would be good to meet and learn from a real numismatist.

All the best,

Weaver (wayne)