British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Weaver

1895 Penny variation? 5 further apart

4 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

That is true about the 1861/62 date positioning of the last digit', but some extremely interesting ones do turn up, and I think this to be one .

290382045_1861exnarrow6110.5tooth2.JPG.b1a8a08f284f45bcedb94623703adbe4.JPG

That last "1" is so high up it's dug into the exergue line.

• Like 1

Is that what they call in the trade a mis-strike?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weaver said:

Is that what they call in the trade a mis-strike?

More like a couldn't care less strike ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

That is true about the 1861/62 date positioning of the last digit', but some extremely interesting ones do turn up, and I think this to be one .

Excellent example Terry, and agree with you that this is extreme enough to be interesting and more desirable to collectors than most date width varieties.

The 1889 Wide Date, pictured below, is another more extreme example. It is also rarer and more desirable than the 1889 Gouby B Narrow Date, which is itself quite sought after.

1889Ad Reverse.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Now that is one that WOULD grab my attention! Good one.

1 minute ago, alfnail said:

Excellent example Terry, and agree with you that this is extreme enough to be interesting and more desirable to collectors than most date width varieties.

The 1889 Wide Date, pictured below, is another more extreme example. It is also rarer and more desirable than the 1889 Gouby B Narrow Date, which is itself quite sought after.

1889Ad Reverse.jpg

That too is interesting. Unlike the OH pennies, there is a great uniformity between 1883 and 1894 which sounds counter intuitive but it's nevertheless true. So a variation like that one is definitely worthy of note.

39 minutes ago, alfnail said:

1889Ad Reverse.jpg

Although i have had 3 of those in low grade thats by far the best i have seen .HAT OFF 👍

On 4/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

It's also somewhat noteworthy that the vast majority of the wonky "1's", are on reverse G. Be they F20, F25, F28 or (perhaps to a lesser extent) the F33.   

11 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It's also somewhat noteworthy that the vast majority of the wonky "1's", are on reverse G. Be they F20, F25, F28 or (perhaps to a lesser extent) the F33. 

This one is on an F33 , so unusual for this combination of dies.

• Like 1

Here's two dates on F25's, neither quite as weird as Terry's example.

F25 Dates.jpg

Edited by alfnail
Maybe 6''s rotated differently
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 9:52 PM, alfnail said:

1889Ad Reverse.jpg

Now that's a superb coin!

All the best,

Weaver (wayne)

Fake news i have just read so deleated 😂

Edited by PWA 1967