British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MJ75

1925 Florin

What are peoples thoughts on this florin? I thought it was a real shame about the rim nic and black spots. What would you all value it at? Thanks in advance. 

1925-Florin.jpg

Edited by MJ75
  • Like 1

A rare date. I think it would be difficult to find a better coin. It all depends on price. London Coins have a CGS 78 for GBP 680. Their prices are inflated and your coin IMO is better than the London Coins offering but it gives some idea. I've seen other 1925 florins of lower grading GVF to aEF for around GBP 250. I hope this helps

The rim nick is very minor and so are the spots. It's a very desirable example and at better than EF I'd say somewhere between £500 and £1k depending on where you sell it and who's bidding.

I really like the obverse strike and also think the edge marks are quite tolerable, don't know if you want to try your hand at judicious acetone on the black marks. I know someone that braved Jeweluster diluted dip on a matte proof G6 crown - yikes! But it came out quite well.

Thanks all for the replies. 

Those pictures are the dealers and not mine. I've just bought it, so it should be here tomorrow. Mine for £440 which I think is reasonable. 

Vickysilver your idea is certainly interesting but I think I'd want to practice on something a little less valuable first. I might buy a washer or two off ebay later! :)

• Like 2

Nice coin, but I cringe when I see dealer's pictures taken in the hand like this. :(

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

Nice coin, but I cringe when I see dealer's pictures taken in the hand like this. :(

I concur. A very well known and respected dealer too! 

23 minutes ago, MJ75 said:

I concur. A very well known and respected dealer too! 

As John Cleese said on Monty Python  "It makes me mad"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Same here - the grease from hands can cause damage. On a worn coin it's not an issue, but on a superb UNC specimen like the one shown, it's sacrilege IMO. 

Should hold the edges, preferably wearing a cotton glove in case the coin slips into the hand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJ75 said:

Those pictures are the dealers and not mine. I've just bought it, so it should be here tomorrow. Mine for £440 which I think is reasonable. 

Vickysilver your idea is certainly interesting but I think I'd want to practice on something a little less valuable first. I might buy a washer or two off ebay later! :)

Very reasonable indeed.

I would leave it as it is.

However, If the build up on the reverse around ONE FLORIN is that disturbing to you, consider taking razor blade, shave off the point of a tooth pick to reduce the size of the point and gently go into the letters to remove the black build up without effecting the surfaces. That might be the least intrusive way to improve the coin. Just be very careful... You can use a loupe to help identify the spots and the magnification will help determine if the tooth pick treatment is working and if you made progress in removing what might just be gunk. If you try this, consider posting a picture to illustrate whether the treatment produced an improvement. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

BTW, congrats... terrific looking coin

On 4/21/2020 at 2:55 AM, MJ75 said:

My example cost £270 (inc Buyers Premium and postage) from Heritage in 2017. It's graded AU58. Personally, I think £440 is a little on the expensive side.

Yours a good buy, but I find the quality and price of this date to be all over. The TPGs will sometimes give technical grades because there is not wear and perhaps good lustre but not be well struck and overall not attractive. Pick and choose carefully...