British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MJ75

1860 Florin

My 1860 Gothic Florin that I acquired a few years ago. Sold to me as GEF / AUNC. 

I'm thinking of sending it to NGC for slabbing. I'm expecting a rating of around 63 or so. Am I about right? 

1860-Florin.jpg

• Like 2

That is probably fair - the 63.  Very hard to see if there are hairlines but the coin looks original and uncleaned, so might even reach a 64.

Very nice with clean fields. A coin without significant bag marks is always impressive .

Edited by Sword

Here's my 1883. This is already slabbed by NGC the way I bought it and rated at 63. The only coin I've bought so far that I'm not really happy with and the one that taught me the importance of eye appeal over grade! Having had both under the loupe I think the 1860 is ever so slightly better so maybe a 64 grade is possible. Here's hoping! 😂

1883-Florin.jpg

Edited by MJ75

1 minute ago, MJ75 said:

Here's my 1883. This is already slabbed by NGS the way I bought it and rated at 63. The only coin I've bought so far that I'm not really happy with and the one that taught me the importance of eye appeal over grade! Having had both under the loupe I think the '60 is ever so slightly better so maybe a 64 grade is possible. Here's hoping! 😂

Apart from the black marks, the 83 is a very nice coin indeed. The braid is very clear. The loss of detail in the top lion is due to weak striking I think. 

But I agree, the marks are distracting. 

Yes about 63, +/- 1. There or thereabouts.