British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MJ75

Literature for beginners

I have the excellent 'The standard guide to grading British coins;. A publication I'd class as essential to any coin collector. 

I also have a 2013 Spink catalogue and 2015 copy Collectors Coins. 

I've just ordered a 2020 Spink catalogue and a 2020 copy of Collectors coins to update both. 

I'm currently interested in Victorian silver. Are there any other books you guys would recommend to further my knowledge?

Thanks in advance. 

MJ

32 minutes ago, MJ75 said:

I have the excellent 'The standard guide to grading British coins;. A publication I'd class as essential to any coin collector. 

I also have a 2013 Spink catalogue and 2015 copy Collectors Coins. 

I've just ordered a 2020 Spink catalogue and a 2020 copy of Collectors coins to update both. 

I'm currently interested in Victorian silver. Are there any other books you guys would recommend to further my knowledge?

Thanks in advance. 

MJ

You have probably got enough to get started. I like the British Silver Coins since 1816 by Peter J Davies which is much more detailed regarding varieties than Spink. It was published in 1982 and gives the die pairings known at the time.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 6:07 PM, Sword said:

You have probably got enough to get started. I like the British Silver Coins since 1816 by Peter J Davies which is much more detailed regarding varieties than Spink. It was published in 1982 and gives the die pairings known at the time.

Thank you. I will take a look. 

Maurice Bull's "English Silver Coinage" is also more detailed on varieties than Spink and provides rarity ratings for everything, of variable accuracy. Also covers the pattern silver coinage for Victoria in reasonable detail, if that's of any interest. 

• Like 2

Thanks again. I've ordered a copy of Davies from Rob. 

• Like 2