British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MJ75

New member TPG question

Hello all

I've had a bit of a break from coin collecting for the last four years or so as I chose to pursue other interests. 

I've now found my interest rekindled. When I stopped LCGS had just introduced their new membership fee at a time when I was contemplating sending some new acquisitions to them. Can anyone advise how long the turnaround time is normally (Not during this COVID 19 crisis) please? 

I appreciate TPG's are not everybody's cup of tea but I'm interested to see what their official scores will be. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to chatting to you all in the future. 

MJ

18 hours ago, MJ75 said:

Hello all

I've had a bit of a break from coin collecting for the last four years or so as I chose to pursue other interests. 

I've now found my interest rekindled. When I stopped LCGS had just introduced their new membership fee at a time when I was contemplating sending some new acquisitions to them. Can anyone advise how long the turnaround time is normally (Not during this COVID 19 crisis) please? 

I appreciate TPG's are not everybody's cup of tea but I'm interested to see what their official scores will be. 

Thanks in advance and I look forward to chatting to you all in the future. 

MJ

I've heard about 2 months or so, although as I've never sent one off for slabbing myself, others will no doubt give you a more precise timeframe.

At any rate it's not a 5 minute job, so you can expect your coins to be away for a little while.

Before the crisis, 2-4 months. No turnaround deadlines or commitments given. Varies partly due to London Coins Auctions activity.

Thanks for the replies. I was expecting a few weeks. Am I correct in thinking that the coins may be sent to more than one grader to arrive at a final score? 

It is usually around 6 to 8 weeks start to finish. I believe they are looked at by more than one person before finalising the grade.

Well after a lot of consideration I've decided to go with NGC

The fact that they're internationally recognised appeals more. I also think the LC / LCGS seems to be a conflict of interest also. 

Thanks for the replies.