British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

blakeyboy

Anyone here into loudspeakers?

Good but...

• Like 1

The whole of "Who's next" is superb not a bad song on it , I was lucky enough to see the last tour and "bargain" was included in the set what a song that is and a song thats not been played since the seventies.

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

The whole of "Who's next" is superb not a bad song on it , I was lucky enough to see the last tour and "bargain" was included in the set what a song that is and a song thats not been played since the seventies.

I saw them 7 times in all, but only one of those was in the post-Moon era.

Yes seven times here as well 1979 twice 1981 twice 1983 twice and 2017 once would have loved to seen them with moony but it was'nt to be .

On 2/21/2021 at 6:49 PM, copper123 said:

Yes seven times here as well 1979 twice 1981 twice 1983 twice and 2017 once would have loved to seen them with moony but it was'nt to be .

1968, 1969 (opening night of the UK Tommy tour), 1971?, 1974, 1975, 1976 Charlton, 1989

Have seen a bootleg of charlton and keith was like a little demon , looked like a classic concert

On 2/27/2021 at 9:50 AM, copper123 said:

Have seen a bootleg of charlton and keith was like a little demon , looked like a classic concert

Quite possibly the best Who concert I attended - though 1969 would run it close. Both featured 'Tommy' extensively and it's not even my favourite album!

Never saw the Who but, same time frame, Stones (Mick Taylor era) at the Liverpool Empire '71 was pretty special.

Check out the Marquee film from the same tour and the '72 US films for a taste.

Then there was Ziggy's farewell tour in '73, and me touching his bare foot. With this hand, yes, this one here. Didn't cure anything, unfortunately......

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Haha 2

I saw the Mick Taylor Stones in Birmingham in 1973 - they were good yes, but compared to The Who live... well, they just weren't!

17 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Quite possibly the best Who concert I attended - though 1969 would run it close. Both featured 'Tommy' extensively and it's not even my favourite album!

I hope its quadraphenia like mine is

4 hours ago, copper123 said:

I hope its quadraphenia like mine is

No sadly - Quadraphenia is a good album though would be better if remixed. My favourite(s) are The Who Sell Out and Who's Next.

Meaty beaty big and bouncy aint bad as well but I must admit whos next is a cracker

3 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Meaty beaty big and bouncy aint bad as well but I must admit whos next is a cracker

Yes - David Hepworth has a 'big thing' about 1971 and rates it as one of the best 3 albums of that brilliant year.

• Like 1

"Little billy" and "pure and easy" pure ear candy

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

"Little billy" and "pure and easy" pure ear candy

Eh? What album are you referencing? The first is from Odds & Sods (isn't it?) while the second is from Lifehouse, or Townshend's first solo album.

15 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Eh? What album are you referencing? The first is from Odds & Sods (isn't it?) while the second is from Lifehouse, or Townshend's first solo album.

Pretty sure there never was a "lifehouse " album and pure and easy first appeared on odds and sods   as a who album well it did on my old  copy on "track records", it was used like whos next as a platform for petes lifehouse songs his best and most creative period .It really was a shame the whole thing never really came together

Edited by copper123

7 hours ago, copper123 said:

Pretty sure there never was a "lifehouse " album and pure and easy first appeared on odds and sods   as a who album well it did on my old  copy on "track records", it was used like whos next as a platform for petes lifehouse songs his best and most creative period .It really was a shame the whole thing never really came together

No, the Lifehouse album I have is an unofficial compilation based on a fan blog:

"This is a long-overdue upgrade to one of the very first reconstructions on my blog: the doomed rock opera Lifehouse by The Who, the next in a series of alternate Who albums.  Originally planned as a double concept album and the soundtrack to its accompanying film, Lifehouse was too technically complex and conceptually baffling to all except Pete Townshend.  After a nervous breakdown while making the album and the lack of support from manager and producer Kit Lambert, Lifehouse was scrapped and paired [sic] down to the single LP Who's Next, which became one of The Who's crown achievements, critically and commercially.  This reconstruction attempts to pull the best sources of all tracks associated with the Lifehouse project recorded by The Who and assemble them not only in a pleasing and cohesive track order, but to follow the storyline of the film."

The track listing is

Side A:
1.  Teenage Wasteland
2.  Time Is Passing
3.  Love Ain't For Keeping
4.  Going Mobile
5.  Baby Don't You Do it

Side B:
6.  Baba O'Riley
7.  Mary
8.  I Don't Even Know Myself
9.  Greyhound Girl
10.  Bargain

Side C
11.  Naked Eye
12.  Behind Blue Eyes
13.  Too Much of Anything
14.  Let's See Action
15.  Getting In Tune

Side D
16.  Pure and Easy
17.  Won't Get Fooled Again
18.  The Song Is Over

To which I have added 'Join Together' in my own iTunes, as it's basically a Lifehouse song in my opinion.

Edited by Peckris 2

WOW sum great songs there

• Like 1

Thiele, A. N., "Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes: Parts I and II," J. Audio Engineering Soc., Vol. 19, No. 5, May 1971, pp. 382–392 (Reprinted from

The above paper may be of interest if you are technically minded. It describes the design of bass reflex enclosures using second order control theory. I think audio reproduction has been revolutionised in recent years by the use of adaptive equalisers in tuner amplifiers where the response of the venue is scanned and the frequency response of the system adjusted accordingly. Using this very ordinary speaker systems can produce high quality results. I first saw this demonstrated when I was a student where students had to present a project as part of their course work to their fellow students and academics.

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 1

I remember in the early 70s there was a make of speaker (can't remember the name - JBL?) where the actual speaker was mounted near the top, but was then pointed down to a flared 'horn shaped' cavity where the sound was transformed, perhaps even amplified non-electronically, to be louder and deeper. Used by rock bands and DJs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Thiele, A. N., "Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes: Parts I and II," J. Audio Engineering Soc., Vol. 19, No. 5, May 1971, pp. 382–392 (Reprinted from

The above paper may be of interest if you are technically minded. It describes the design of bass reflex enclosures using second order control theory. I think audio reproduction has been revolutionised in recent years by the use of adaptive equalisers in tuner amplifiers where the response of the venue is scanned and the frequency response of the system adjusted accordingly. Using this very ordinary speaker systems can produce high quality results. I first saw this demonstrated when I was a student where students had to present a project as part of their course work to their fellow students and academics.

The Thiele - Small parameters ( Small was his collaborator) are still quoted as part of a drivers specs all these years on....a  seminal work.

Now, other factors are coming into play, and of course, more and more processing can be applied, but there is still no escape from the fact

that good quality well designed drivers are a necessary starting point in any loudspeaker design.

A colleague has a Trinov correcting system in his studio, and he raves about it.

It's bloody clever - witchcraft territory a few decades ago....

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I remember in the early 70s there was a make of speaker (can't remember the name - JBL?) where the actual speaker was mounted near the top, but was then pointed down to a flared 'horn shaped' cavity where the sound was transformed, perhaps even amplified non-electronically, to be louder and deeper. Used by rock bands and DJs.

Yes- I think it was JBL- they did crazy things with horns in the States back then- they were always driving larger rooms than anyone else so they went a bit mad, along with Klipsch and Voigt et al.

• Like 1

Yes I met Small when I was working at Sydney Uni. Small signal analysis is where you linearize a nonlinear transfer function around an operating point and is much used in electronic circuit design. I can also remember Goodmans suggesting that you mounted speakers in a concrete column. I have never seen any analysis of this but I suspect it would involve circular harmonics leading to Bessel's partial differential equations . Any relation of small signal to Richard Small is incidental as small signal analysis was used mainly in electronic circuit design to accommodate the non linear nature of vacuum tubes, FETs and BJTs.

I'm afraid my audio is entirely shop brought with a Denon AVR X250BT 5.1 tuner amp and Wharfedale Alantic SE Series speakers 2 AT-400 SE and 2 AT200 SE.  The Denon employs a white noise source to balance the speakers but does not support a microphone  like the earlier Denon I had so I use a sound level app on my phone that seems to deliver reasonable results. I changed the earlier Denon as it did not support 4k HDMI.

Earlier on in my career I worked at the MO Valve company where they made the KT 88 and KT 66 tubes. not realizing that they would be sought after today by some audio buffs who want to chase the Vacuum  tube sound. 

Oh wow!

Of course... I remember know- he was from your neck of the woods!

Oh that maths gives me the shivers....I feel like strangling Fourier sometimes for making me feel stupid!

Good valve, the KT66- especially the early tall thin ones- I sold an early Leak amp that had them in on Ebay a few years back and the bidding went mad.

I've spent the week installing the console I rebuilt/modified into the new studio/building site.

I sold it to the studio last week, officially, and it's very odd to not own it any more!

Still got to wait for the guy who is going to clad it all in sapele....

I'll put up more pics as things evolve if anyone is interested.

P1040877 5.jpeg

• Like 3

Impressive  setup. I'm afraid I like math approach. Yes the KT66 was the lower power tube while the KT 88 was a higher power device. KT stands for kinkless tetrode .

• Like 1