British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

blakeyboy

How's your garden looking after fine weather and time?

Oh- another thing- I have a rare trachycarpus takil, and its suddenly decided to flower.

Not sure yet if its a girl or a boy.

Anyone know of another so i can get some pollination going?

P1040215.jpeg.9037ea1bb5d6dd5fbed02d23fe03711a.jpeg

1 minute ago, blakeyboy said:

Oh- another thing- I have a rare trachycarpus takil, and its suddenly decided to flower.

Do you know its Freeman number?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

If its a girl I definitely don't fancy it .:o

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Phew, I just looked it up, it’s a palm. It looks very triffidesque to the uninitiated.

Found this by chance, en route 

D95A6943-F014-4B52-85CC-CFD11E02248B.jpeg.0b5eaf1fb3213c0045136ae63ef974f7.jpeg

Should read One touch (without protection) can induce nine months of intense reoccurring throbbing pain.

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

Phew, I just looked it up, it’s a palm. It looks very triffidesque to the uninitiated.

Found this by chance, en route 

D95A6943-F014-4B52-85CC-CFD11E02248B.jpeg.0b5eaf1fb3213c0045136ae63ef974f7.jpeg

Should read One touch (without protection) can induce nine months of intense reoccurring throbbing pain.

Sounds like an encounter with Donald trump

• Haha 3

One for the genesis fans

You really dont want this in your back garden (It prefers riverbanks anyway)

hogweed.jpg

• Like 1

Damn those Victorian explorers!!

Tony Banks, as well as riverbanks...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, copper123 said:

One for the genesis fans

You really dont want this in your back garden (It prefers riverbanks anyway)

hogweed.jpg

Heracleum Mantegazziani!!

("Mighty hogweed is a veg" as one of my Uni friends thought they were singing..)

• Haha 1

I don't have a garden half as large or grand as some shared here - this is how mine looks this evening. The tubs in the foreground have strawberries, behind that is a fig tree, and at the back mixed in the the rose are two apple trees, You get the idea that productive plants are more interesting to me?!

Back garden 1 Red.JPG

• Like 3

Our garden doesn't have the maturity of most of yours, and it has a few challenges. This Google Earth shot shows it before we moved in in March 2017 - it was owned by a builder who stored a lot of his stuff there but wasn't interested in the garden. It's a new build and at the end of the plot so the garden is much bigger than the neighbours' but at a price - there are drains and water storage tanks under parts of it where we can't plant trees or shrubs in case of root damage. I have a "protected strip" 3m wide running right through it from front to back. 

image_63799.jpg

It was pretty sterile:

image_63793.jpg

image_63794.jpg

image_63795.jpg

The strawberry trough etc we brought from my old house, there was nothing here at all except grass, stone and tarmac.

image_63796.jpg

image_63797.jpg

image_63798.jpg

This is the earliest one I can find of the front - we'd just poked a few bulbs in. I'll take a few tomorrow to compare how it is now. :)

image_70475.jpg

3 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

your Roses are a lovely colour , looks good and a great chill out spot.

Agreed. I only have 10 m x 5m to play with, and I'd love some old heat-soak walls to have a rose of that quality climbing up it...

Welcome bit of rain this morning.

22nd May 2020 (1).JPG

22nd May 2020 (2).JPG

22nd May 2020 (3).JPG

22nd May 2020 (4).JPG

• Like 1

It's really difficult to introduce some height and cover for birds without trees and shrubs. :(

22nd May 2020 (5).JPG

22nd May 2020 (6).JPG

22nd May 2020 (7).JPG

22nd May 2020 (8).JPG

• Like 1

I want to attract more wildlife but the cats kill everything. :angry:

22nd May 2020 (9).JPG

22nd May 2020 (10).JPG

22nd May 2020 (11).JPG

22nd May 2020 (12).JPG

• Like 1

The bags waiting to go to the tip are stones I riddled from two raised beds earlier in the year. New builds are a pain - it's like trying to grow vegetables in a box of rocks. 

22nd May 2020 (13).JPG

22nd May 2020 (14).JPG

22nd May 2020 (15).JPG

22nd May 2020 (16).JPG

I need to have a tidy but I've just picked up a load of firewood that needs cutting up.

That's it - warts and all. It's probably obvious that if I can make it, repurpose it or scrounge it, I don't pay for it. ;)

22nd May 2020 (17).JPG

22nd May 2020 (18).JPG

22nd May 2020 (19).JPG

• Like 1

Wow! A lot of work gone on there! I don't think I could get into half that much...

Most of what's in my garden was left there by the previous owner. Very old cob-stone walls abound, which give it great potential for roses and espaliered trees. Every ground surface is either paving slabs or concrete, so no lawn (a bonus) but nowhere to plant anything new (a slight disadvantage).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Wow! A lot of work gone on there! I don't think I could get into half that much...

Most of what's in my garden was left there by the previous owner. Very old cob-stone walls abound, which give it great potential for roses and espaliered trees. Every ground surface is either paving slabs or concrete, so no lawn (a bonus) but nowhere to plant anything new (a slight disadvantage).

Believe me Paddy the bigger the garden the bigger the ballache,my daughter has nearly 4 acres they have been mowing and by the time they have done it will need doing again 😂

We are in a flat and can just let the gardener get on with it twice a week 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

That's it - warts and all. It's probably obvious that if I can make it, repurpose it or scrounge it, I don't pay for it. 

Nice work Jon. I see you've stopped picking your asparagus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Nice work Jon. I see you've stopped picking your asparagus.

Only the third year so had to go easy on it - we had about 8 spears. Next year should be good though. I lost 2 of the 8 crowns I planted so I need to get some replacements, and I've found  few asparagus beetle in the last couple of days. :angry:

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Believe me Paddy the bigger the garden the bigger the ballache,my daughter has nearly 4 acres they have been mowing and by the time they have done it will need doing again 😂

We are in a flat and can just let the gardener get on with it twice a week 👍

I couldn't be doing with all that grass. To my mind the purpose of a garden is to save me having to go to Sainsbury's to buy carrots. And to have tomatoes with flavour. And gooseberries for pie. 

I like a bit of wildlife and if it pollinates my vegetables or eats slugs, so much the better. :)

• Like 2