British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

blakeyboy

How's your garden looking after fine weather and time?

1749892699_P10400923.jpeg.4c6003b120795c1aafeb11ef3a1dbd84.jpeg

• Like 3

Mine not especially wonderful to be honest. After all the rain followed by dry weather, parts of it look like a dried up lake bed. 

I've done some weeding, however, and am actually going out again soon to do a little digging, as it's now a bit cooler than earlier in the day.

Had to try and fix a fence panel as well. I hadn't realised as it was hidden behind a tree so couldn't be seen from the window. Not sure when it happened, but it was kind of warped into a bow shape and had come out of its moorings. Neighbours never said anything, and I did try a contractor for a new panel to be fixed, but they're not operating because of Covid 19. However, after a bit of effort on my part, I did bodge it back into some semblance of position. Had to kick the lower part to get it reslotted into the concrete post.

All good fun.    

Done some digging, and although it looks dry on the surface, it's still like a bog underneath, making the soil heavy to turn. In fact, I thought I could hear it squelching as though there was water underneath. I'll post a photo like you've done Blake, when I've finished. Too ashamed at the moment.   

Anybody re-wilded their garden? It's a great excuse not to have to do any work in it.  

• Like 2

I'm leaving the garden for now. Spending time giving the cars a thorough cleaning and polishing. Its amazing how much algae and other grot there is in all the nooks and crannies. They've never looked so good or been so well cleaned. However, does anybody have any ideas for a suitable treatment for a black canvass roof that is beginning to grow mildew and green patches. It doesn't matter how much I scrub the green patches and mucky green water runs off, I still can't get rid of it all. Also any ideas for re-blacking the roof?

I only moved into my new house in January, so I have not got onto the garden enough yet to make me feel like sharing any pictures of it! Mostly patio slabs anyway.

The blossoms on my trees this year are amazing , we live on the top of a hill and its not unusual for all the blossoms to blow off, but the last few days have been kind to them and the result is a profusion of colour.  Picture of my cherry tree below.

1504701159_blossomsApr2020.thumb.JPG.5171ea97b2caca119a94e6900aae4872.JPG

• Like 11

Thank heavens for my allotment. Fresh air and exercise every day and people to talk to on neighbouring plots 2 metres away.

Potatoes are in and the whole allotments have never looked so neat !

• Like 2

I'm rather enjoying the confinement, catching up on several years of garden neglect and its nice to have the wife around (life is normally one long coffee morning for her). So the veg plot is getting into order, spuds and onions and strawberries are in and seeds germinating in pots, neglected hedges cut back (hence bonfires ready for autumn) and wildflower meadow starting to bloom. I love the Spring.

Jerry

image149.jpg

image150.jpg

• Like 6

image151.jpg

image152.jpg

• Like 7

image153.jpg

• Like 7

I've done that much gardening that anyone who dared to visit would no doubt get re-potted....

• Haha 4

I've tentatively put some of the bigger spikey stuff out so I have room to work,

and it's not as lethal- those spikes are over a metre long now...

P1040107.jpeg.e5736d2a95e5024f276b8952596cda25.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:15 AM, blakeyboy said:

I've tentatively put some of the bigger spikey stuff out so I have room to work,

and it's not as lethal- those spikes are over a metre long now...

P1040107.jpeg.e5736d2a95e5024f276b8952596cda25.jpeg

That reminds me about the time some years back when I planted a section of hedge with Burberry plants , well what a mistake that was, it was an absolute bar steward , I cut myself to ribbons on the dam thing , well as you can guess it had to go, so that was one lesson I learned the hard way, choose you plant types with care :D

• Like 1

Exactly!

I was clearing a friend's overgrown area in her garden,  and there was a berbers that I took great pleasure in chopping up.

It got me very time I went near it, and the spikes went in and broke off. Horrible. Every day, another 'minor operation'....

I see you've used the correct spelling for Berberis , well as I have said on here before, spelling is not my best subject.    I started to write my post about the hedge and was not sure how to spell Berberis and so I asked my wife , well she got the wrong end of the stick and being a woman, naturally thought I was referring to the west end store of the same name , and as she is normally excellent at spelling I wrote it down without a second thought .   :D

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Haha 2

Well that clears it up - I was still working out what sort of plant a Burberry was and whether I could make wine from the fruit!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I see you've used the correct spelling for Berberis , well as I have said on here before, spelling is not my best subject.    I started to write my post about the hedge and was not sure how to spell Berberis and so I asked my wife , well she got the wrong end of the stick and being a woman, naturally thought I was referring to the west end store of the same name , and as she is normally excellent at spelling I wrote it down without a second thought .   :D

Well, Burberry's most famous product is their trench coat ... which you presumably had to dig for the Berberis? 😆

• Haha 1

chav.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

Well that clears it up - I was still working out what sort of plant a Burberry was and whether I could make wine from the fruit!

Berberis fruit is edible so I reckon you'd be good. ;)

• Like 1

I've spent a good few hours over Easter watching the solitary bees round the bug hotel. It's been like Biggin Hill some days. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rErO8E6WNMI

Seeing them emerge into the world is quite satisfying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q73F5LpcU1M

• Like 2

OMG wheres the flyspray LOL

Edited by copper123
  • Haha 1

Here's my not so landscaped garden, and the grass needs mowing again. But at the moment I feel damn fortunate to have a garden I can sit in for as long as I like, especially nice in the good weather we've currently got. 

garden.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/13/2020 at 6:39 PM, terrysoldpennies said:

Well, actually put ' Berbers', if you look closely, so Terry, you were closer with 'Burberry', which I read as 'Barberry' which is the common name for it...:)

Edited by blakeyboy
speling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

Well, actually put ' Berbers', if you look closely, so Terry, you were closer with 'Burberry', which I read as 'Barberry' which ids the common name for it...:)

Wasn't Burberry considered to be the choice of "chavs", when that word was fashionable a few years back?

I remember going to the pub with a mate about 2005, and when we came out there was a sticker on his car which said "oi chav, your car is shit". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2