British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Help with Gothic Florin varieties please

I am involved in a conversation on another forum about Gothic florin varieties and the books I have (Spink and the Coin Yearbook) seem a bit short on detail. Another poster as said:

"It claims that on 1853, 1856 no dot after the date is very rare and that on 1858,1859 no dot after date is merely rare, 1865 and 1866 can have a colon after the date and it lists various date overs and an extra t in brit: and differring numbers of arc on some years."

I am bemused because all the 1856 florins listed on Ebay are without dot, so I wonder if the reference he has got it wrong. The other variations are listed except the colon after date - which I know exist because I have one from 1865 at the moment.

Has anyone out there got the necessary up to date references to put me right, or can point to an online resource for it?

Hi Paddy. There is no reference to a different die or dot on the 1856 florins in ESC. And i have never heard or seen anything about this, as i would have made a note. I will check my 1856 florin when i get home, just to see.

• Like 1

From ESC,

1853 dot after date (dad) is R3 and no dot is common.

1856 there is only a no dot.

1858 ditto

1859 dad is normal, and no dot R

1865 has both no stop 2 varieties one R4 and the other S and colon which is R2 and no dad.

1866 no dot is R, colon is R3, no dad.

and Davies appears to agrees.

The Gothic Florins have got to be the most difficult and varied of all the milled silver issues.

• Like 2

Thanks for that - brilliantly comprehensive but concise response!

PS - I have been meaning to get a copy of ESC for ages and have now ordered one from Amazon.

Edited by Paddy

3 hours ago, Sleepy said:

From ESC,

1853 dot after date (dad) is R3 and no dot is common.

Also known as 'stop over numeral' (son)?

• Haha 1

OK, funnies. I guess I have to confess that even though I love Vicky silver (surprise!), I just don't get worked up over varietals other than the Gothic florin overdates like 1852/1, 1874/3 and the 1881 "xxri". But with this Corona virus maybe I'll have a look this evening....