British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

These old articles are a wonderful read.

Is there a website-savvy coin enthusiast out there who could collate all the old articles about specific date varieties and produce a site?

There must be piles of old articles in back copies of coin magazines that need to be made 'public' in the modern way.....

Anyone?

I have a complete set of these mags and I have considered doing this in the past. All it would take is scanning the pages into the PC and organising them for a website and for reading. Not too hard. More tricky if you want to be able to search for specific articles or entries. The problem is that I don't know who now owns the copyright. I knew a lady who was a proof reader for them, but she wasn't able to help with anybody to contact now, for permission. At the end of the day, there are some 25 years of mags, 12 per year excluding those when they came out every fortnight, and say an average of 80 pages per issue. That's 24000+ scans. Could do it, but not if, the moment I publish them, someone comes along and says 'oi they are mine'.

Having said this, I'm talking about reproducing the whole mag, not just selected articles. The problem with the latter is choosing which ones, especially as it wouldn't be long before demands grew for more and more of the content to be made available. Plus, of course, there is still the matter of copyright.

• Like 1

I think I posted Sealy's list from a year later (1970) when the number of varieties had reduced to fewer than 7? I'm always suspicious of that era's "blunt" vs "pointed", as they can be put down to wear, either of the examples found or the dies.

I'm not sure there is any kind of market for 1957 calm sea varieties, particularly when they are of such a micro nature. I'm happy to have a BU example and don't care which it is, frankly.

I possibly still have the scans of Sealy's full varieties article from 1970? If anyone's interested I could repost if I do have them.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:15 PM, Peckris 2 said:

I think I posted Sealy's list from a year later (1970) when the number of varieties had reduced to fewer than 7? I'm always suspicious of that era's "blunt" vs "pointed", as they can be put down to wear, either of the examples found or the dies.

I'm not sure there is any kind of market for 1957 calm sea varieties, particularly when they are of such a micro nature. I'm happy to have a BU example and don't care which it is, frankly.

I would think you are referring to the 1970 Coins and Medals annual

49780691978_230f0cd554_k.jpg

That David Sealy refers to. I believe it was collated at the end of 1969, so dosnt include any new discoveries.

As for there not being any market for calm seas varieties, good, I dont want my hobby being destroyed by parasites looking for profit.

5 hours ago, AardHawk said:

I would think you are referring to the 1970 Coins and Medals annual

49780691978_230f0cd554_k.jpg

That David Sealy refers to. I believe it was collated at the end of 1969, so dosnt include any new discoveries.

As for there not being any market for calm seas varieties, good, I dont want my hobby being destroyed by parasites looking for profit.

Yes, the 1970 C&M annual indeed. I scanned the whole thing and I have it in Dropbox in case anyone is interested? I was right in that the 7 varieties were reduced to 4 after 12 months.

I'm not quite sure what your 'parasites' reference was about - not very friendly whichever way you look at it.

• Like 1

My ha'penny varieties site certainly isn't going to go down to that sub-atomic level.

• Like 3

I don’t have many half pennies, but I do have an 1861 R over B in BRITT in good fine, if you need a photo. 

Jerry

41 minutes ago, jelida said:

I don’t have many half pennies, but I do have an 1861 R over B in BRITT in good fine, if you need a photo. 

Jerry

Which die pairing is that on please Jerry? :)

1 hour ago, jelida said:

1861 R over B in BRITT in good fine, if you need a photo

Yes, please.

Perhaps I should adjust that to impaired good fine, it has clearly been deeply toned and cleaned in the past, now I look at it again. As I say, halfpennies are not my thing. here are photos, hopefully someone can tell me the dies? I will dig out Freeman later.

These are low res pics, if higher res are any help I can email them to you Richard.

Jerry

image187.jpg

image188.jpg

Close-up.

Image74.jpg

• Like 3

F282, 7+G I think.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jelida said:

I will dig out Freeman later.

Thanks Jerry - hopefully my website will help with identification !

• Like 1

This thread made me get out the few Victoria halfpennies i have lying around, and I came across this.

The raised cross really does like the die had this cut into it.

There is a thin 'lead in' line at the bottom of the short stroke.

What to make of this????

P1040137.jpeg.27b148dcdac83dd43854b2ae1bbd1861.jpegP1040138.jpeg.bdfb4989580f20b6ad7b50417722c970.jpeg

850365907_P10401394.jpeg.6644dfd1b9ffd3a9e92e4df5e1d3376f.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

What to make of this????

Interesting. The raised cross is without the concomitant wear visible on the coin. I'd suggest it has been added at a later date and not cut into the die.

• Like 1

Oh yes of course....

Not concomitant. ( Word of the week for me! )

Odd though....so fine....like someone with a very steady hand was playing with the world's smallest brazing kit...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Oh yes of course....

Not concomitant. ( Word of the week for me! )

Odd though....so fine....like someone with a very steady hand was playing with the world's smallest brazing kit...

I first heard it used in one of my favourite Ealing films, Kind Hearts and Coronets. The Reverend Lord Henry d’Ascoyne says "...I always say that my West Window has all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period" 😂 beautiful 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

850365907_P10401394.jpeg.6644dfd1b9ffd3a9e92e4df5e1d3376f.jpeg

found the culprit

welder.png.5a21bfc14486113862b992d4b70afe3f.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Diaconis said:

I first heard it used in one of my favourite Ealing films, Kind Hearts and Coronets. The Reverend Lord Henry d’Ascoyne says "...I always say that my West Window has all the exuberance of Chaucer without, happily, any of the concomitant crudities of his period" 😂 beautiful 

Agreed. I love the early Alec Guinness films.

• Like 1

avocado-houmous-crudites.jpg.288804639e7bd410431d40d937c127cf.jpg

Concomitant crudities...

• Haha 1