British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

To help pass the time, I have begun to create a new website of bronze halfpenny varieties along the lines of my penny varieties site. It is very much work in progress with much to do but if any halfpenny collectors have counted and recorded the border tooth numbers on the various obverses and reverses, I would be grateful if they would supply them to me to avoid me having to count them myself !

The website is www.halfpennyvarieties.wordpress.com

Bear in mind that I have no knowledge of halfpennies (although it is beginning to develop) and so there will be numerous errors, I expect.

• Like 2

That is brilliant news - thank you for putting in so much effort on these sites, which I believe will be the master reference for the future.

As posted a couple of years ago, I do have a collection of halfpennies, including quite a few varieties in the Victorian era. They could do with re-photographing, but let me know if you could use pictures of them as they are.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

As posted a couple of years ago, I do have a collection of halfpennies

Paddy, could you provide the link again, please.

Dracott gives tooth counts - do you have his article Richard?

56 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Dracott gives tooth counts - do you have his article Richard?

No - can you supply ?

From London Coins Signature sales - The Michael Cole collection - about half and half pennies and halfpennies, but there look to be some interesting halfpenny varieties. 

Thanks to those who tried to get Dracott info to me but I couldn't connect to dropbox.

Probably my error Richard, you should have it now (email).

Great idea.

Just for Elizabeth II so far:

• each year has its own reverse with often very slight differences (see Freeman)
  • there are two reverses for 1954 - short teeth and long teeth
  • there are 4 varieties for 1956 - two obverses each paired with two reverses (the second obverse next appears as 1967 Type II, the reverses are long and short teeth)
  • there are two reverses for 1957 which you probably already know about - calm and wavy sea (from 1958 the sea is always wavy)
  • there are 2 varieties for 1967, two obverses
Edited by Peckris 2

Thanks for all the information guys - got a few weeks' worth of work to do now..........................

I have printed off the Dracott article but I can't work out what the "S" reference is with regard to the obverse and reverse types, e.g. Obverse 1A has F1* and S1.

I presume 1A is Dracott's identifier, 1* is Freeman's but what is S1 ?

Gary Schindler tells me that Mal Lewendon created a Compact disc reference about 14-15 years ago for halpennies - does anyone have that CD or its contents ?

On 4/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, secret santa said:

I presume 1A is Dracott's identifier, 1* is Freeman's but what is S1 ?

having now seen the 3rd page of Iain Dracott's article (the rarity list), it appears that the S prefix was established by Ron Stafford, a collector that I have now lost touch with.

49 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Gary Schindler tells me that Mal Lewendon created a Compact disc reference about 14-15 years ago for halpennies - does anyone have that CD or its contents ?

If you can't get the CD, Richard, you might like to know that Mal Lewendon is a member here. He's never posted anything, and was last active in 2016. But it might possibly be worth messaging him, as personal messages are also sent as an e mail to the member.

link to Mal Lewendon's pre decimal page

ETA: I tell a lie - one post, about halfpennies here 

Edited by 1949threepence

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

ETA: I tell a lie - one post, about halfpennies here 

That's the key post - many thanks Mike.

• Like 1

Is this the same Malcolm Lewendon who is given credit by Maurice Bull in ESC for helping with the Gothic Florin series (see today's posts about Gothic Florins) which is a bit of a coincidence.

2 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Is this the same Malcolm Lewendon who is given credit by Maurice Bull in ESC for helping with the Gothic Florin series (see today's posts about Gothic Florins) which is a bit of a coincidence.

Yes, The very same Mal lewendon

On 4/2/2020 at 11:04 PM, Peckris 2 said:

Great idea.

Just for Elizabeth II so far:

•  
  • there are two reverses for 1957 which you probably already know about - calm and wavy sea (from 1958 the sea is always wavy)
  •  

Dont forget the seven calm sea date varieties (see the 2nd page);

49771798373_f2258b80ef_k.jpg

49771798528_62c633cb3b_k.jpg

Elizabeth II still work in progress (as are many others).

Trouble with these "modern" varieties, the auction houses don't tend to put photos up as they are not rare, and so I don't have pictorial examples of these different reverse types.

Re the above comment, 2nd page of what ? (also, I can't see your images)

Right, your images are now visible - I'll download it.

secondly, Colin Cooke has a good set of images from the Dr Nicholson collection which I can plunder.

These old articles are a wonderful read.

Is there a website-savvy coin enthusiast out there who could collate all the old articles about specific date varieties and produce a site?

There must be piles of old articles in back copies of coin magazines that need to be made 'public' in the modern way.....

Anyone?