British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Intriguing World news about Coronavirus

Just thought it might be a distraction to share any intriguing news about the Coronavirus from around the world. This article from Bangkok triggered the idea:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1891715/shenzhen-bans-eating-of-cats-and-dogs-after-coronavirus

Seems the Chinese are finally cracking down on the wild food markets, including cats and dogs. Long overdue!

• Like 3

Well that is good news. Let's hope they extend the ban nationwide.

The Chinese are utterly barbaric in their treatment of animals. 

• Like 4

spotted in manchester - Looks like his mrs has just tested positive and hes bought her sum flowers

covid.webp

34 minutes ago, copper123 said:

spotted in manchester - Looks like his mrs has just tested positive and hes bought her sum flowers

covid.webp

Comes up as a download - do you have a link instead?

Can't believe what I saw this morning. 

Drove down to ASDA to pick up some food, cat food and cat litter. Pulled out a trolley from the load, and guess what? - there was a used disposable face mask and a pair of those lightweight plastic gloves in there. 

Not only incredibly selfish, but whoever it was, unbelievably thick as well.    

Couldn't see a staff member , so shoved it right out on one side, and used another. Just glad I had one of those small bottles of Purell with me.

On the plus side, there was no queue, shop was virtually empty and the shelves were fully stocked.   

• Confused 2

😮

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Can't believe what I saw this morning. 

Drove down to ASDA to pick up some food, cat food and cat litter. Pulled out a trolley from the load, and guess what? - there was a used disposable face mask and a pair of those lightweight plastic gloves in there. 

Not only incredibly selfish, but whoever it was, unbelievably thick as well.    

Couldn't see a staff member , so shoved it right out on one side, and used another. Just glad I had one of those small bottles of Purell with me.

On the plus side, there was no queue, shop was virtually empty and the shelves were fully stocked.   

What do u really expect from asda - shop at waitrose or the cheaper alternative morrisons

28 minutes ago, copper123 said:

What do u really expect from asda - shop at waitrose or the cheaper alternative morrisons

Could happen anywhere. It's selfishness and stupidity, which isn't necessarily related to shopping habits. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, copper123 said:

I've returned to Tesco. Getting a home delivery slot from Waitrose is IMPOSSIBLE, and M&S don't do online foodhall shopping. 😢

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I've returned to Tesco. Getting a home delivery slot from Waitrose is IMPOSSIBLE, and M&S don't do online foodhall shopping. 😢

The earliest you can get a Tesco slot will be 27th May today - but at least you know when their slots are released. With ASDA it can be any time, although they're only up until 14th May.

How things have changed, and how competitive home delivery slots have become. A few months ago, you could easily get a pick of the slots for the following day

13 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The earliest you can get a Tesco slot will be 27th May today - but at least you know when their slots are released. With ASDA it can be any time, although they're only up until 14th May.

How things have changed, and how competitive home delivery slots have become. A few months ago, you could easily get a pick of the slots for the following day

I'm on the Tesco priority slot list - they just asked me a few questions, unlike Waitrose who insist you have to be on the government's (narrowly defined) database.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I'm on the Tesco priority slot list - they just asked me a few questions, unlike Waitrose who insist you have to be on the government's (narrowly defined) database.

By staying up until gone midnight for Tesco, combined with repeated checking of the ASDA website, I've secured a pattern of deliveries since mid March and forward to the end of May.

I'm making additions to the orders for two elderly neighbours. I leave the bags outside their front doors. The orders have been much larger than they used to be, but at least it means they don't have to put themselves in harm's way by visiting the shops themselves. 

Of course Sainsburys has now devoted all of its deliveries to the elderly and vulnerable, and I'm pretty sure (although not certain) they are like Waitrose in the sense of making sure you're on the government's database. 

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

If I don't get a slot there is a Facebook group of local volunteers who can do shopping for me, plus I have a weekly carer/enabler who can get stuff for me when she does a Tesco shop for her own family. I'm not stuck for means of getting food just yet..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peckris 2 said:

If I don't get a slot there is a Facebook group of local volunteers who can do shopping for me, plus I have a weekly carer/enabler who can get stuff for me when she does a Tesco shop for her own family. I'm not stuck for means of getting food just yet..

We all have to pull together as much as we can. It's not an easy situation, but we are all in it together. 

• Like 1

We've done one big shop since lockdown, having made a concerted effort to get to the bottom of the freezer. We've eliminated those by appointment to Queen Victoria and are now working on the Edward VIIs

• Haha 4

Interestingly (or boringly, whichever way you look at it), I've just booked another Tesco slot for Friday 29th May. After sitting in an auto refresh queue for about 15 minutes until 12:05 am, I eventually saw the slots for both Thursday 28th and Friday 29th. I expected to only see Friday 29th, so they must have been late in releasing the Thursday. 

I thought I would just check again, and at 12:20am, just 15 minutes after release, every single slot had gone, over both days.    

16 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Interestingly (or boringly, whichever way you look at it), I've just booked another Tesco slot for Friday 29th May. After sitting in an auto refresh queue for about 15 minutes until 12:05 am, I eventually saw the slots for both Thursday 28th and Friday 29th. I expected to only see Friday 29th, so they must have been late in releasing the Thursday. 

I thought I would just check again, and at 12:20am, just 15 minutes after release, every single slot had gone, over both days.    

The priority slots are also filling up so I grabbed one for 11th May to be safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The priority slots are also filling up so I grabbed one for 11th May to be safe.

I can't believe how quick they go. Obviously people (like me) are stopping up after midnight to grab them. Incredible that their earliest available (normal) slots are nearly one calendar month ahead of today's date.  

Yes, I'd imagine the priority slots also fill up very quick. 

Edited by 1949threepence

It's probably not helped by the fact that the big supermarkets are no longer open 24 hours. The middle of the night is always a good time to avoid the crowds, virus or no virus. On the one occasion I have been shopping recently, it was virtually empty at 08:30.

The supermarket time slot difficulties are now beginning to ease. Many more available.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

I can get Tesco slots in a few days time with no problem now.

I dont want this to end

isolation.jpg

• Haha 4