British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
JLS

Edward III penny of York - cross in quatrefoil

I'm struggling to identify this admittedly very well worn piece, which is clearly a York mint issue of (probably ?) Edward III's florin coinage.

The reverse has a quatrefoil in the centre, with a fine cross in its centre. I've only ever seen examples before with a pellet or nothing there. Any help much appreciated !

1florinpenny.JPG.cd167f70d22828af7bf4e7912ce5f7c3.JPG2florinpenny.JPG.7575c39d51c3738b5a2294afcc21220d.JPG 

Edited by JLS

There's also the possibility it could be an Irish issue of Edward IV. Try looking through some of the examples on the PAS website. 

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

There's also the possibility it could be an Irish issue of Edward IV. Try looking through some of the examples on the PAS website. 

Do you think the portrait style is compatible with that ? There are York issues of Edward IV with cross in central quatrefoil; it would have to be Archbishop Neville suspended (1472 - 5) presumably given lack of marks by neck. I'd be skeptical of an Irish attribution simply because I've never seen an Irish penny of Edward IV which isn't heavily clipped !

• Like 1

True. It is slightly less clipped than most Irish issues. I'd be speculating if i said anything else. There's not much to go on but i think i can see RA which would tie in with EBORACI. 

On 3/20/2020 at 10:56 PM, Ukstu said:

True. It is slightly less clipped than most Irish issues. I'd be speculating if i said anything else. There's not much to go on but i think i can see RA which would tie in with EBORACI. 

Yes, you can actually see the C too on the flan, on second looks, so it is definitely a York coin. Probably Edward IV second reign then, with London dies ? I've had the York die piece before and it looks nothing like these, crude almost Irish style portrait. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JLS said:

Yes, you can actually see the C too on the flan, on second looks, so it is definitely a York coin. Probably Edward IV second reign then, with London dies ? I've had the York die piece before and it looks nothing like these, crude almost Irish style portrait. 

It is an odd one. I can't say with any certainty which Edward it is out of III or IV. Perhaps Dave (Grunal) will know if he still uses the forum. 

An interesting example! My thought is it's a continuation from the engraving of the die and not a deliberate element of the design, the portrait is definitely Edward III. I've seen similar ones before, e.g. the below.

BERKDE77E7.jpg

• Like 1