British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MODELCOINCOLLECTOR

INA PATINA PATTERN CROWNS

Hello i have posted here before, but not for a while

Looking for as much information on INA PATINA PATTERN CROWNS

I do have many of these crowns, i purchase the test pieces first which had MODEL on the reverse

from Peter Jackson through Glen Ward, and started to write a book on them, but took a break for a few years .

So i started up again.

PICTURES and any paperwork would be great 

Tony

OK, I like the earliest versions & got some of the gold ones in the Spink sale & held on to them. Will email later in the week as they are "locked up".

Thankyou VickySilver for your reply

Look forward to see them . i have about 250 types , i did purchase the test pieces with the word model on the reverse and how Peter Jackson listed them from type 1 to 28,.

I do have many Silver pieces , i find them so intriguing and beautiful . but now trying to write a book on they many different types, i find prices vary so much on the same piece, i guess dealers see them all differently, as for the Gold types they are just a dream, but still would like to know as much as i can about them.

So any information will be greatly appreciated 

Regards Tony

Have not been able to get to the bank due to Corona . The Krause Unusual Coin book from 2011 has many listed.

Thats fine i guess coivd 19 is causing problems for us all , i do have Krause Unusual coin book.

There are so many different types and Metals and Piedfort , but i am having some success now  and have over 120 different types .

So it is a slow progress but with help form many collectors , it is slowly coming together.

Tony

Your enthusiasm is impressive, sign me up if you are able to finish for a copy and hopefully you can at least get basic type photos. I was able to find these old pictures of one of the gold pieces NGC did not list the weight which I believe was the heavier (42.2 gm. ??).

4z4rfs2edhmn.jpg
iermqixx76bg.jpeg

1?toolid=20001&campid=5338203720&customid=page&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.collectors.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1034801%2Fwill-pcgs-now-grade-this-coin-patina-wyon-gold-crown%2Fp1%3Fnew%3D1%23pagetop&mpt=45215873

Absolutely Beautiful, thankyou for the pictures first one i have seen close up,

awesome piece , i am still looking researching and cataloguing pieces , a massive job 

but if i only achieve cataloguing different pieces , i be happy 

once again thankyou.

Tony

Might be a pretty coin but edward Vii was dead in 1911 so its certainly a fantasy piece

Despite what the slab says, the date on the coin itself is MDCDX which translates as 1910.

Jerry,

Interesting - MDCDX, although it works is not a valid Roman numeral. Correct notation would be MCMX.

See https://www.numere-romane.ro/convert-roman-numerals-to-arabic-numbers.php for an explanation. Put simply, it is invalid to have a "subtractive group", in this case CD, following a letter for an amount in the same range, in this case D.

• Like 1

They may have just been having a bit of fun.  This coin is c. 2000 struck by INA and sold in the Spink Patina Sale 2001.

21 hours ago, copper123 said:

Might be a pretty coin but edward Vii was dead in 1911 so its certainly a fantasy piece

Not like a slabbing company to get the basics wrong is it ?

• Haha 1

Absolutely! PCGS would not slab this and I had it in a 2x2 before, so at least adequately protected. I still want the other two slabbed. I got the copper version of this for 18 USD, and it is beautiful (well, the reverse anyway).

Quite a lot of INA fantasy coins coming up in a Stacks Bowers auction in Hong Kong on 7th May.

Jerry

Thankyou Jelida

I have look at the auction you quoted. and they are still commanding a high price in some auctions.

I have found many at a reasonable prices , and manage to acquire over 50 crowns in .925 silver some with a silver stamp on edge some not 

I know the there were 20 Obverses and 27 Reverses . From the original sale on Wednesday 11th July 2001

I was giving a list from Peter Jackson of another 28 different types, there are also many more , The Outlines types link to many different Obverses

also George III 

Sorry I am slow to this discussion.

I have several of these - many from the original INA strikings that were sold in the Jul 2001 Spink sale, and other from more recent strikings in 2007 and 2008.

Here are some that I have photographed.  Many more than I have not imaged.

1910-Dated_Crown_Fantasy_Edward7_NGC_PF6

1879_X81b_copper_Victoria_3graces_compos

1879_FantasyCrown_Silver_X81_raw_composi

1879_X82_silver_shield_crown_composite_z

1879_X83_silver_stgeorge_dragon_composit

• Like 1

And a few more...

1901_Victoria_X11a_goldine_NGC_PF66CAM_c

1901_EdwardVII_X13a_goldine_proof_compos

1901_EdwardVII_X13b_copper_proof_composi

• Like 1

I do like the engravings of the INA pieces.

One of the things I regret is that the very nice coronet head of Queen Victoria was only used in foreign coins and not home currency. 

Another example of an INA piece in my collection.

1910_Fantasy4Shillings_Silver_GeorgeV_NGC_PF68UC_composite.jpg.2b54407524d56a91c2fe175101e90d69.jpg