British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1910-SILVER-HALFCROWN-PCGS-MS62/274304517864?hash=item3fddd2c6e8:g:d3gAAOSwvXReal8B

I know I keep on banging on about TPGers but I have difficulty in a MS 62 grading for this coin  by PCGS

4 hours ago, ozjohn said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EDWARD-VII-1910-SILVER-HALFCROWN-PCGS-MS62/274304517864?hash=item3fddd2c6e8:g:d3gAAOSwvXReal8B

I know I keep on banging on about TPGers but I have difficulty in a MS 62 grading for this coin  by PCGS

Oz, That is definitely a nice coin, but is difficult to grade because of the surface tarnish. It needs a quick "dip" to clean it up a little bit. The lions heads on the reverse are very good, but  where the Crown sets on the shield, there is definite wear. The obverse head also looks like it has wear. Still it is a nice coin...though not a ms-62...so I agree with you on that. 

The obverse has issues beyond a soft strike as the surface does not appeal (even subtracting the toning), and key areas like the ear, angle of jaw, fleur du lis (it is early here!) and orb cross at top of crown do show friction. I could possibly accept as a 58 - maybe - with the usual caveat that it must be seen in hand.

At first glance MS62 seems overgraded. But would need to see in hand.

Certainly not got much eye appeal - IMO any rate.

The slab is in MS condition though. No scratches visible.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sword said:

The slab is in MS condition though. No scratches visible.

Well that's a relief ......

I noticed there is a video attached to the Ebay listing for this item showing the coin being examined. The coin looks much better in this video than the photos supplied in the listing. In the video you can see the edge of the coin quite clearly and that looks pretty good. Perhaps it is just a lightly struck coin.  Like some of the replies say it looks better in the hand as it is hard to get a good picture when photographing through a plastic capsule. The PCGS photos don't help the coin either.

Edited by ozjohn
typo

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

I noticed there is a video attached to the Ebay listing for this item showing the coin being examined. The coin looks much better in this video than the photos supplied in the listing. In the video you can see the edge of the coin quite clearly and that looks pretty good. Perhaps it is just a lightly struck coin.  Like some of the replies say it looks better in the hand as it is hard to get a good picture when photographing through a plastic capsule. The PCGS photos don't help the coin either.

Yeah, it does look a fair bit nicer in the video. To me, probably a bit better than EF; lots of lustre, minimal wear on devices, just weakly struck with ugly toning. 

It seems that the quality of strike for 1910 halfcrowns  could be variable. Here's my 1910 halfcrown.. Firstly the reverse is a better strike than the obverse and I would grade it as UNC. The obverse is a weaker strike but given the reverse you have to cut some slack as both sides of the coin should wear evenly. As a result I would give an overall grade of gEF for the coin. In summary a very nice coin. I think I would prefer this coin to the PCGS example.

Clipboard.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
typo
  • Like 1

Here is mine - possibly even sharper on the reverse but with one or two irregularities around the edge:

1910 HC 1-horz Red.jpg

• Like 4

Ah Paddy that one shows quite nicely,some of these later Eddies really suffer in strike. Not to derail but I have had a devil of a time getting decent 1908 shillingsd and florins. 

I'd be delighted to own either Paddy or ozjohn's 1910 half crowns 😄

1587565201_1910halfcobvlarge.jpg.50a5688282c67e1d5da73790b1492103.jpg1543466259_1910halfcrevlarge.jpg.8c9c31b64dfde75302a1e78cd52264a9.jpg

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Like 2

Beware attack of the pie plates! This is mine and I don't know how to downsize so apologise in advance:

zsvoihds21d8.jpeg
95ewat10xxa4.jpeg
e2jq7xruuyhw.jpeg

1?toolid=20001&campid=5338203720&customid=link&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fstores.ebay.ca%2FMattscoin&mpt=738119561?toolid=20001&campid=5338203720&customid=page&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.collectors.com%2Fdiscussion%2F1034406%2F1910-half-crown-a-pleasant-coin-with-decent-strike%23pagetop&mpt=3620484

• Like 3

Some very nice 1910 halfcrowns.

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

1587565201_1910halfcobvlarge.jpg.50a5688282c67e1d5da73790b1492103.jpg1543466259_1910halfcrevlarge.jpg.8c9c31b64dfde75302a1e78cd52264a9.jpg

That's a very strange effect around the the Scottish lion? Overall a very nice fully struck obverse.

Edited by ozjohn
typo

On 3/15/2020 at 3:26 AM, ozjohn said:

That's a very strange effect around the the Scottish lion? Overall a very nice fully struck obverse.

Probably due to this being a scan picture, and then blown up to double size. On the coin itself that effect isn't present.

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Probably due to this being a scan picture, and then blown up to double size. On the coin itself that effect isn't present.

I think you are right. An interaction between the scanning pixel size and the computer display size aliasing perhaps.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, ozjohn said:

I think you are right. An interaction between the scanning pixel size and the computer display size aliasing perhaps.

And enlarging to double size hasn't helped.