British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Loose change

1892 penny - Genuine or not?

With such a small picture it is difficult to see what is triggering your alarm bells? And can we see the other side?

Here is the other side. The black mark from the eye to the coin edge reminds me of flux burn. That makes me suspicious.

penny.jpg

penny-britannia.jpg

Bigger image when clicked on. I am thinking almost VF. (had the coin grading book which was recommended - huge help and the best book I bought).

Edited by Loose change

The OBV has just got verd or crap on and quite a common bun penny especially in that grade.

It is genuine though.

• Thanks 1

Looks genuine to me. Can't see anything about it which would arouse suspicion.

The gunge on the obverse is typical of the sort of detritus you see on coins of that age.    

1 hour ago, Loose change said:

Bigger image when clicked on. I am thinking almost VF. (had the coin grading book which was recommended - huge help and the best book I bought).

In addition to the grade, only buy a coin you like the look of unless it is very cheap. (It will be somewhat different if you ever graduate to collecting rare pennies).

A VF penny is collectible, but I won't get one with that gunge on the head. If it is a common penny, then you will see a better specimen soon enough. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sword said:

In addition to the grade, only buy a coin you like the look of unless it is very cheap. (It will be somewhat different if you ever graduate to collecting rare pennies).

A VF penny is collectible, but I won't get one with that gunge on the head. If it is a common penny, then you will see a better specimen soon enough. 

I am sure I will get to that stage eventually with the rarer ones. I have my eyes on a couple of rarish coins at the moment, but it comes down to price though. I really do need pre vicky coins also. Harder to come by at the moment, there's plenty of time.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, Loose change said:

I don't see any problems with it being genuine. Apart from the crud on the obverse, I'd rate it at least VF - in fact, I'd say GVF but just for wear. "GVF with crud"!

• Like 1