British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Generic Lad

Ebay find turns out to be proof 1928 6d

love this series, ?problem? with it is in my opinion the proofs did not get much better of a strike than good, much cheaper, BU examples. I had a proof 1936 6d PF 65 and a 1935 CGS 88, i could not for the life of me spot differences. Personally wouldn't be tempted by a PF61, would probably end up going for £100-£200

• Like 2

I tend to be in agreement, even though this is near to the core of my collection. Also, there seems to be very little demand, even for superior specimens. I have a couple of 3ds of this vintage that also are superior mint state examples, not far in quality from the proofs that I have.

That having been said, there are some very, very nice proofs out there that are unmistakably of that quality. I think my main issue is rather with the Wreath crowns wherein the TPGs have certified FAR too many coins as proofs that are not.

The NGC photos are below. 

502534897_temp3-Copy.jpg.f5e4aa66b8bd5437ab43177333d0b0ce.jpg578291185_temp-Copy.jpg.7302ce7907cd0247dd61342298e34bf0.jpg

It's not the first time a 20th century proof has gone through ebay. About 15 years ago there was a 1930 shilling listed which had all the appropriate attributes. Obviously I wasn't the only one who thought this, as I came a distant third despite going quite a few multiples of book.

Wow, that obverse is none too impressive, the reverse better....

This was sold by Baldwin's in 2018. PF65 at £700 hammer.

2015806910_image00258-Copy.jpg.42d49cc85a4eb44bbfc5a188bfcf5e9e.jpg