British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
blakeyboy

complex chemistry on coin surfaces and conservation

I found this thread on a minerals site, and it stuck me how similar it is to threads on this one!!

Maybe some of what these mineral collectors say is relevant to us?

If nothing else it's very interesting....

https://www.mindat.org/mesg-115692.html

Edited by blakeyboy
speling

Hm, I hadn't thought about light-sensitivity.

Silver something-or-other was used for old photographic film or plates so that makes sense.

I think light can increase the speed of toning and that's the reason why some people leave cleaned coins on window sills. It makes silver reacts faster with gases in its vicinity.

Silver bromide was used in photographic plates. It darkens in light as it breaks down to give silver particles which causes a darkening effect. Not sure if this has any relevance to coin toning though. 

I suspect not - just as silver nitrate I think stains the skin very easily but silver coins don't stain your hands.

Old established toning is safe. It is reassuring and has stood both the tests of time and light.