Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

DNW auction live - anyone else having buffering issues?

Recommended Posts

Really not good. Live feed constantly being interrupted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, their end - may be resolved now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yep, their end - may be resolved now

Just gone again...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good. I thought it was my end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now getting an on screen message "we will re-commence at 11am".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're finally going now - nearly an hour down "due to streaming problems".

I notice the 1847 penny of Hyram's lots went somewhat above estimate. Well I never.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

They're finally going now - nearly an hour down "due to streaming problems".

I notice the 1847 penny of Hyram's lots went somewhat above estimate. Well I never.....

What a surprise.

Who got the magnificent F76? - went for £6k. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

They're finally going now - nearly an hour down "due to streaming problems".

I notice the 1847 penny of Hyram's lots went somewhat above estimate. Well I never.....

Probably the best of the twelve known to date, No REG Colon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to say I won lots 188 and 192 - the F25 in EF and the 1863 die No 3 under date. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Did you win it Terry?

I spotted that F38 several weeks ago as well. Also what might possibly be a F74 specimen in the top left hand corner of the group.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first post here, have found this a great source of information which has helped enormously in my quest to collect coins, but can no longer resist the temptation to post. I watched this auction live, and yes it did drop out a fair few times. I could not notice one particular lot - 194, which was worth only £8 according to the 2020 coin yearbook, but someone paid £600 for it. I admit I am, as I am new to coin collecting, scratching my head thinking 'why'?. I do go by the book, so maybe that is my mistake 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Loose change said:

My first post here, have found this a great source of information which has helped enormously in my quest to collect coins, but can no longer resist the temptation to post. I watched this auction live, and yes it did drop out a fair few times. I could not notice one particular lot - 194, which was worth only £8 according to the 2020 coin yearbook, but someone paid £600 for it. I admit I am, as I am new to coin collecting, scratching my head thinking 'why'?. I do go by the book, so maybe that is my mistake 😕

If you look at the picture and compare the hair with a normal 1865 you will notice its different .

These are patterns with a different design which are scarce / rare with low mintages and command a premium.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Loose change said:

My first post here, have found this a great source of information which has helped enormously in my quest to collect coins, but can no longer resist the temptation to post. I watched this auction live, and yes it did drop out a fair few times. I could not notice one particular lot - 194, which was worth only £8 according to the 2020 coin yearbook, but someone paid £600 for it. I admit I am, as I am new to coin collecting, scratching my head thinking 'why'?. I do go by the book, so maybe that is my mistake 😕

That's because it's no ordinary 1865 penny, but what's called a "pattern penny". Meaning the Queen's head is coroneted. The vast majority of Victoria pennies do not show the Queen with a crown on her head. So this one is special and extremely rare.

What makes it even more unusual is that it was never actually intended for circulation, but obviously was circulated for maybe 80 odd years before someone noticed and saved it.       

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Did you win it Terry?

I spotted that F38 several weeks ago as well. Also what might possibly be a F74 specimen in the top left hand corner of the group.   

Can I ask why you think this may be an F74, rather than standard F73 please Mike?

Looking at Richard's englishpennies site I also struggle to see what makes the pictured example (i.e. the LCA Sept 2013 piece) a proof F74 rather than normal F73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

If you look at the picture and compare the hair with a normal 1865 you will notice its different .

These are patterns with a different design which are scarce / rare with low mintages and command a premium.

I appreciate this being pointed out. I now see why, the other pennies have no crown except for maybe the penny with crown partially covered by a head scarf. (I have a long way to go)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chingford said:

Probably the best of the twelve known to date, No REG Colon.

very clear reverse face on that one John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That's because it's no ordinary 1865 penny, but what's called a "pattern penny". Meaning the Queen's head is coroneted. The vast majority of Victoria pennies do not show the Queen with a crown on her head. So this one is special and extremely rare.

What makes it even more unusual is that it was never actually intended for circulation, but obviously was circulated for maybe 80 odd years before someone noticed and saved it.       

Thank you for also pointing this out to me. I now see why. I have a long way to go 😳

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Can I ask why you think this may be an F74, rather than standard F73 please Mike?

Looking at Richard's englishpennies site I also struggle to see what makes the pictured example (i.e. the LCA Sept 2013 piece) a proof F74 rather than normal F73.

Because if you look at it Ian, the rim is unusually thick, which appears to be a hallmark of specimen/proof coins. Additionally, the detail is very sharp.

They are the only characteristics which distinguish my F74 (bought as such with provenance) from a F73.  

I'm not saying I'm definitely correct. It might just be an ordinary F73, but it's general demeanour is suggestive of a specimen - in my opinion.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Loose change said:

Thank you for also pointing this out to me. I now see why. I have a long way to go 😳

No worries - stick at it and you will be an expert. Just takes a bit of time, patience and study.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike, and well done with your two purchases earlier today. Apart from the 1847 I would have liked to improve my 1858 F/B but it seems someone else spotted those in Lot 615. Punters are really sharp nowadays. 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Thanks Mike, and well done with your two purchases earlier today. Apart from the 1847 I would have liked to improve my 1858 F/B but it seems someone else spotted those in Lot 615. Punters are really sharp nowadays. 😏

Thanks Ian. Yes they are sharp. Nobody seems to miss a trick these days. 

Did you get the 1847?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Afraid not Mike, I start to think (fear) my wife is looking over my shoulders talking about her next holiday when I get to those dizzy heights.....even if she's out shopping buying some 'useful' clothes for herself! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×