British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

DNW auction live - anyone else having buffering issues?

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Did you win it Terry?

No Mike, too much for me just at the moment, but you never know just like an 11 bus another may come along quite soon. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That's because it's no ordinary 1865 penny, but what's called a "pattern penny". Meaning the Queen's head is coroneted. The vast majority of Victoria pennies do not show the Queen with a crown on her head. So this one is special and extremely rare.

1069930074_1865F772proofpattern.jpg.dccc7b07cb0fe594b7259033a1e5d063.jpg

• Like 3

Site was acting a bit funny today, and only bid on one coin as finances a bit tight. Won that one: Jamaica 5 pence overstrike on 1/2 real.

4 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Site was acting a bit funny today, and only bid on one coin as finances a bit tight. Won that one: Jamaica 5 pence overstrike on 1/2 real.

Same for me on todays auction. I was only intended on watching in on a few lots which caught my eye, but in the end, I got a little fed up and left. Hope they manage to get their site working to cope with the numbers next time.

I managed to snag a £20 note, serial AA000019. (sorry for the non coin related bit).

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Because if you look at it Ian, the rim is unusually thick, which appears to be a hallmark of specimen/proof coins. Additionally, the detail is very sharp.

They are the only characteristics which distinguish my F74 (bought as such with provenance) from a F73.  

I'm not saying I'm definitely correct. It might just be an ordinary F73, but it's general demeanour is suggestive of a specimen - in my opinion.   

I agree - Peck recorded a proof (P1698) with this die-pairing and Gouby notes that some examples are considered specimens - I don't think that there's a definite answer to this one.

Thanks Richard,

I have to say that when I first saw it on the DNW auction it did look a bit unusual to me, but I couldn't really put my finger on it and thought that (as usual) I may be imagining what I wanted to see. Anyway, coupled with the F38 (which clearly loads of people did see) I decided to bid and got it for my maximum of £650.

Will take some pictures of this 1874 once arrives and see if those shed some light as to F73 or F74.  

The delay suited me perfectly as I managed to log on just a few lots ahead of the one I wanted. I should have missed it really. There was no sound though which was a pain. I can't get used to the extortionate charges though. Why do we put up with it. My local auction house do not charge ANY buyers premium. Which is fine if all you want is a few modern Royal Mint proof sets and a second hand fridge freezer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loose change said:

Same for me on todays auction. I was only intended on watching in on a few lots which caught my eye, but in the end, I got a little fed up and left. Hope they manage to get their site working to cope with the numbers next time.

I managed to snag a £20 note, serial AA000019. (sorry for the non coin related bit).

Nice one. Well done.

26 minutes ago, 1887jubilee said:

The delay suited me perfectly as I managed to log on just a few lots ahead of the one I wanted. I should have missed it really. There was no sound though which was a pain. I can't get used to the extortionate charges though. Why do we put up with it. My local auction house do not charge ANY buyers premium. Which is fine if all you want is a few modern Royal Mint proof sets and a second hand fridge freezer.

Was that today? Have to say sound is far more useful than pictures. We don't need to see the auctioneer, but we do need to hear him speak. 

Ideally, it's good to have both, but sound is of way more benefit when bidding.     

1 hour ago, alfnail said:

Thanks Richard,

I have to say that when I first saw it on the DNW auction it did look a bit unusual to me, but I couldn't really put my finger on it and thought that (as usual) I may be imagining what I wanted to see. Anyway, coupled with the F38 (which clearly loads of people did see) I decided to bid and got it for my maximum of £650.

Will take some pictures of this 1874 once arrives and see if those shed some light as to F73 or F74.  

Looking forward to that Ian.

Here are the pictures of that 1874 Mike.

It is an attractive coin, and the fields do look unusually smooth.

The rims on both sides seem to be constantly around 0.8mm according to my microscope......which I think is probably normal.

I believe that quite a few Heaton coins are considered to be specimens, struck from polished blanks to give a better strike to show off the detail.

Any thoughts from other members on this coin please...…………….not sure I will keep it if considered just an F73, not an F74? 

1874H F73_74 Rev.jpg

1874H F73_74 Obv.jpg

• Like 2

My example definitely has polished surfaces and it might be only my imagination but all the examples of so-called F74's that I've seen appear to have the H a little further from the linear circle than your photo.

It's certainly a very nice coin, Ian. But now that you've posted such a good photo of it, I'm inclined to agree with Richard that it's a normal F73, as opposed to a specimen. There is a slight metal flaw and possibly evidence of a die crack on the reverse, as well as the fact that the H is a little lower down. 

Worth keeping as one's F73 specimen though.    

Is this the "smoking knee" variety? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

It's certainly a very nice coin, Ian. But now that you've posted such a good photo of it, I'm inclined to agree with Richard that it's a normal F73, as opposed to a specimen. There is a slight metal flaw and possibly evidence of a die crack on the reverse, as well as the fact that the H is a little lower down. 

Worth keeping as one's F73 specimen though.    

Did cross my mind to keep it Mike, but think I need to start being a bit more ruthless with spares. I have an F73 which is about on a par with this, but also has a repaired 7...….so thinking will probably hang on to that one instead.,

1874 F73 Repaired 7.jpg

• Like 2

If in doubt, keep (or buy) both.

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

No, it's a die clash - the 'flaw' is actually Vic's mouth and chin, reversed.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

No, it's a die clash - the 'flaw' is actually Vic's mouth and chin, reversed.

The potential die crack is just above the O of ONE.

Die clash...? I prefer the smoking knee theory. Has more of a ring to it 🎶

8 hours ago, Rob said:

If in doubt, keep (or buy) both.

So er yeh, may have to do that! 😁 

22 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

The potential die crack is just above the O of ONE.

Die clash...? I prefer the smoking knee theory. Has more of a ring to it 🎶

Interesting. I just can't see it.

Well, on closer inspection there are actually two reverse die cracks at the rim, the one Mike noticed after the O of ONE, and an even more obvious one to the right of the date.

Well spotted Mike! :ph34r: 

Die cracks.jpg

• Like 1

On my own F73 7 over 7, the die crack is much worse (and her knee is still smoking !).

2121908185_1874HF737over7revedited.thumb.jpg.00c44b3ea3be5b0f9b53601155ab9a59.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfnail said:

Well, on closer inspection there are actually two reverse die cracks at the rim, the one Mike noticed after the O of ONE, and an even more obvious one to the right of the date.

Well spotted Mike! :ph34r: 

Die cracks.jpg

Never noticed the crack to the right of the date, Ian.

• Like 1

…………….but did you notice that my last 3 sentences have either begun with 'so' or 'well'?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, alfnail said:

…………….but did you notice that my last 3 sentences have either begun with 'so' or 'well'?  

Hadn't noticed either, but now you mention it, two well's and one so :ph34r: