British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MichaelC62

Charles I Sixpence Sp 2800.. 3a?

Hello,

I am new to this site and to collecting Hammered coins. I have just purchased my  first coin that I think is a Charles I sixpence Sp 2800...3a. It is crown mintmark [1635-6] which is what the dealer sold it as. My question is it only weighs 2.69g which appears to be quite light for a sixpence. Would a Charles I expert mind looking at my coin and comment on it and the weight please. What do I actually look for in a hammered coin. They appear differ vastly from each other. The diameter is 24.4-25.1mm and it doesn't appear to be clipped. Thank you in advance for any advice. Michael578411469_1635-6SixpenceObversea.thumb.jpg.d189eeaade7e6f5e234a127d79544431.jpg1795560892_1635-5Reversea.thumb.jpg.17925fcf340db48335bb5b50d2ac4180.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

We could do with better (cropped) photos, but by downloading and magnifying I can get a reasonable idea. There are much more experienced experts than me on here, but it does appear right for a Charles I sixpence. I believe S2813 in the Spink book. The V behind the head is part of VI for Six - the denomination. The mintmark of a Crown gives a date of 1635/6.

Nothing to worry about. The weights do vary, so if the metal looks good and not cast, then it should be ok.