British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I just received my packet back from NGC.

Here is the F164a after conservation and slabbing

1908 F164a OBV reduced.jpg

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I just received my packet back from NGC.

Here is the F164a after conservation and slabbing

Nice one. 😋 Pity about the slab...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Nice one Gary, I must confess I didn't think it would get a 63 .

Neither did I....

I also submitted a spotted 1971 Israel 10 lirot Let my people go Bern mint, Mintage 80. It came back proof-68...

No complaints there either

On 2/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, mrbadexample said:

There's a nice F164 lurking in lot 646 at the forthcoming DNW sale. ;)

Now here.

23 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Now here.

I think that's about what I paid for mine. 

Incidentally, The Coin KIng (real name Nathan Smith) is a good trustworthy dealer. I've had some nice 20th century pennies off him. 

Just now, 1949threepence said:

I think that's about what I paid for mine. 

Incidentally, The Coin KIng (real name Nathan Smith) is a good trustworthy dealer. I've had some nice 20th century pennies off him. 

Yes, I've bought from him before. :)

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I have brought from him too and he is indeed a very decent dealer. 

But personally, I would prefer if he grades his coins conventionally using UNC, EF etc. rather than his own scale of "superb - very nice - nice". I know buyers should be able to grade for themselves but I would like the seller's opinion nonetheless. 

17 minutes ago, Sword said:

But personally, I would prefer if he grades his coins conventionally using UNC, EF etc. rather than his own scale of "superb - very nice - nice". I know buyers should be able to grade for themselves but I would like the seller's opinion nonetheless. 

That doesn't bother me, I don't think it's worth giving a grade on ebay - you just open yourself up to disputes. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Sword said:

I have brought from him too and he is indeed a very decent dealer. 

Yes, ideally he would. But I think some dealers, especially on e bay, prefer not to grade, lest they get panned by those who disagree. We've all seen it on here, and some of it assumes deliberate over grading by the dealer. I can understand why he might want to avoid that.  

This is what he says:-

Guaranteed genuine, please study the photos provided and make your own opinion on grading.  

The ball is therefore wholly in the buyer's court.

• Like 2

I agree. Putting grades on Ebay leads to lots of issues - If you grade accurately then you risk no one looking at your items as they are lost in the swill of over-graded rubbish. If you join the over-grading cult you lose credibility with the knowledgeable buyers, or enter into disputes with them. It's a no win!

• Like 3

I agree with @Paddy ebay is it's own worst enemy with free listings, allowing any nobody to over-grade everything without financial impact. Joining that set is self destruction for any credible dealer or collector.

• Like 2

That's fair enough. He does provide very good photos which are of course much more useful than grades.

I know I am probably losing out, but I just don't buy from Ebay. I am more comfortable buying from dealers' own sites. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 3:07 PM, mrbadexample said:

Now here.

He's now reduced the price of the same coin on his website to £107.50 - here  

• Like 2