British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Pattern 1927 Wreath Crown, ex-Pretoria Mint

OK, don't get excited as it is only and primarily an edge variety with bevelled edges although there are some other differences. I got this from Spink in 1997 along with a pattern shilling that came from the Pretoria mint collection (did they retain anything?).

kgg6wwzkk8af.jpeg
bl0jo1fu0jkm.jpeg
bmjouh3lkly7.jpeg
z8zhfjh3zg8o.jpeg

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

Related to this, was wondering if anybody had access to the April, 1997 SNC. That was the month I bought the 1927 shilling and crown, but it may have been a pre-sale.

As an addendum, I am unaware of any publishing of the contents of the Pretoria Mint before it was deaquisitioned - does anybody know of source material?

Nothing there, nor the preceding or following months.

OK, I bought it from Steve Hill whilst he was as Spink at the time and may not have made the SNC then. It was a two coin lot with the new type (for 1927) shilling in proof and also a variant, though minor.

On 2/5/2020 at 3:00 AM, VickySilver said:

OK, don't get excited as it is only and primarily an edge variety with bevelled edges although there are some other differences.

What are the other differences?

On 2/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, VickySilver said:

As an addendum, I am unaware of any publishing of the contents of the Pretoria Mint before it was deaquisitioned - does anybody know of source material?

Agreed! It is often mentioned as the source of those 1924 proof sets with the 1922 penny but I can't find a source to back that up. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-v-satin-finish-specimen-set-1924-and-1922-not-listed-in-the-spink-guide-but-well-known-these-are/a/340-15206.s mentions an old collection from South Africa but that's a little vague.

I've lost my notes from the time, but may have been minor bust/hair details.

Please note that the (in)famous Bob Illsley "sourced" much of the South African Pretoria material. He at one time has ALL of the post-1902 matte proof sets, and one each (at least) of the gold patterns from the 1920s including 3d, 6d, florin, ??halfcrown. I managed to get the matte 1927 set, and then also the 1929 Wreath in proof, and several other pattern pieces. No provenances were provided. So Dolphin Coins at one time had massive connections to South Africa, but I have no independent knowledge of their knowledge as it were.

A different die do you think?

Do you know around what year(s) these coins were sourced? If there were no provenances possibly they were sold off by corrupt officials or whatever.

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

A different die do you think?

Do you know around what year(s) these coins were sourced? If there were no provenances possibly they were sold off by corrupt officials or whatever.

Or someone trying to rewrite history? I'm sure imperial connections are not encouraged by the present regime in SA.

Edited by ozjohn

Recall is about 1993-4 when all these coins, many unknown previously started making their appearance. What in the world? It was a bit of a surprise.

I haven't really had conversation with Steve about this but think Bob I. would be the person to ask - is he still alive or about?

19 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Or someone trying to rewrite history? I'm sure imperial connections are not encouraged by the present regime in SA.

Possibly, though I work with a South African fellow and he says that corruption is pretty bad there - someone may have been tempted to make thousands of dollars selling coins that no one really knew about.

24 minutes ago, Mr T said:

oPossibly, though I work with a South African fellow and he says that corruption is pretty bad there - someone may have been tempted to make thousands of dollars selling coins that no one really knew about.

Either way changing history for ideological reasons or  inadvertently or for personal gain is not a good thing. Museums are supposed to be a record of what happened.

Yes, and especially in view of the truly special coins they had. Colonial as well as GB