British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Colin88

1877 Narrow Date Penny

I see that there's one coming up at DNW albeit somewhat battered but clear enough and obviously exceedingly rare. Estimate at £500 to £700 is somewhat on the low side but will succeed in attracting bidders for sure. 

1 hour ago, Colin88 said:

I see that there's one coming up at DNW albeit somewhat battered but clear enough and obviously exceedingly rare. Estimate at £500 to £700 is somewhat on the low side but will succeed in attracting bidders for sure. 

Probably whoever wins it is looking at £3k +

9 minutes ago, secret santa said:

And another one at DNW in March - they're coming thick and fast.

Another? - must take a look. 

The first one is in appalling condition, worn, battered and disfigured around the date. I would not want it in my collection. The second DNW one is at least showing more normal wear, and would be tolerable. Given they are not really ‘that’ rare, I think they are overpriced if in the thousands (plural). But I hope to get a decent one one day.

Jerry

PS and despite what I said a couple of days ago re the rugby, I do wish some success to England. I would at least like to see them prevent France getting the bonus point.😱

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jelida said:

The first one is in appalling condition, worn, battered and disfigured around the date. I would not want it in my collection. The second DNW one is at least showing more normal wear, and would be tolerable. Given they are not really ‘that’ rare, I think they are overpriced if in the thousands (plural). But I hope to get a decent one one day.

Jerry

PS and despite what I said a couple of days ago re the rugby, I do wish some success to England. I would at least like to see them prevent France getting the bonus point.😱

They're about on a par with the F38 in terms of rarity, but about 8 times as expensive. Probably more "glamour" attached to it.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Another? - must take a look. 

Pics of both, please ??

7 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Pics of both, please ??

They're both ex Hiram Brown on DNW's website. First is the sale on 12.2.20, and the next is the coin sale in March.   

Or you could click on Richard's @secret santa rarest pennies website and look under F90. Both there as well (last two).

Edited by 1949threepence

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

They're about on a par with the F38 in terms of rarity, but about 8 times as expensive. Probably more "glamour" attached to it.    

They are, along with the 1882 no H and the 1860 mules, among the most recognisable true rarities which brings the "glamour". I think that if I weren't building up the population with pictures on my website, they might well be still thought of as a single figure population. 

• Like 2

Didn't Scott (where is he?) get one of these very cheap in a lot from eBay?

16 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Didn't Scott (where is he?) get one of these very cheap in a lot from eBay?

I don't recall. If he did he's a very lucky guy.

Last active 8th November 2018. So no idea where he's got to.  

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

They are, along with the 1882 no H and the 1860 mules, among the most recognisable true rarities which brings the "glamour". I think that if I weren't building up the population with pictures on my website, they might well be still thought of as a single figure population. 

Indeed. Your rarest pennies website seems to be known far and wide, Richard. I've seen it authoritatively quoted both on e bay and some facebook coin pages, as "the rare pennies website shows only 12 photos" (or some such). 

There is also an 1882 no H in the DNW auction on 12 February as well. Poor, but extremely rare. Difficult to be convinced about the no H though, as i think somebody has mentioned before.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, Iannich48 said:

There is also an 1882 no H in the DNW auction on 12 February as well. Poor, but extremely rare. Difficult to be convinced about the no H though, as i think somebody has mentioned before.

As long as you can tell whether the obverse / reverse combination is either London or Birmingham, then you can say which it is. If iit's so poor you can't tell, then safe to assume it's Birmingham.

It's from the Hiram brown collection but, saying that, there's also a clumsily forged 1943 penny in there as well, described simply as 1943 penny, even though they don't exist !!!

11 minutes ago, secret santa said:

It's from the Hiram brown collection but, saying that, there's also a clumsily forged 1943 penny in there as well, described simply as 1943 penny, even though they don't exist !!!

It's not a Seaby/Laurence scenario then....(a 1933 penny hiding in a lot of bric-a-brac).

42 minutes ago, secret santa said:

1339441379_GeoVI1943revedited.jpg.6c166ac2d1e25058fffcbaf0b0a592bc.jpg

Looks pretty authentic to me...................

Which lot No is it Richard? I couldn't find it.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

And it's the rarer open 3 variety!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Which lot No is it Richard? I couldn't find it.

Lot 653

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 11:30 AM, secret santa said:

Very clumsy! 30 seconds examining any penny from 1937-39 would have revealed that Geo VI pennies use a flat top 3.