British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

Gold brexit 50p's - anybody get one?

An article about them in today's Daily Mail. Apparently the very limited edition quickly sold out - link  

But the "good" news is that profiteers are selling them for a handsome mark up on e bayfurther link 

Actually even at the enhanced price, they might not, ultimately, be a bad investment. 

Missed out due to the website issues, which means I also couldn't book the SYO sovereign either. Regular customers really ought to get dibs before the hordes of profiteering riff-raff get a look in. 

Mainly because my profiteering is more important. :)

• Haha 3

Since the Royal Mint is State owned, it ought to be making as much money as it can. They should have sold the thing at a higher issue price and have a higher mintage. I mean why a mintage of 1500 for a gold proof? At least go for 2020 pieces and say that's because it is the year of brexit. 

6 hours ago, Sword said:

Since the Royal Mint is State owned, it ought to be making as much money as it can. They should have sold the thing at a higher issue price and have a higher mintage. I mean why a mintage of 1500 for a gold proof? At least go for 2020 pieces and say that's because it is the year of brexit. 

That's a higher mintage than most 50 pences in gold though ? Maybe they didn't anticipate such high demand. 

They should have allowed people to pay a deposit and pre order. Then the mint can make just the correct number to satisfy demand. The date was effectively written in stone after the general election.

I placed an order for the silver proof version just after 9.00am on the day of the release and it was on backorder. RM refunded my money because they have no stock.