British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 1/30/2020 at 9:43 PM, Sword said:

The prices are finally out on the Royal Mint site:

Price    LEP
Gold Proof                            £945.00    1500
Silver Proof                           £60.00    47000
Brilliant Uncirculated           £10.00    Unlimited
Two-coin set                         £30.00    5000
Strike on the Day Sovereign £800.00    1500

A number of gold Sovereigns will be struck on the day and these particular coins will feature a portcullis privy mark.

I really want to get a BU example. It will however cost me 50p as I will get one from post office or bank or circulation 😀 As usual, I prefer to collect a currency coin than a proof.

I never thought that I would ever mention the 'London Mint'  in favourable terms but they are selling the BU 50p for £4-50 as opposed to the RM selling them fot £10.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:36 AM, Sword said:

Of course you wouldn't. Destroying 50p coins is also a silly thing that people won't do either. :-)

There are however reports that some people won't accept them; Alastair Campbell because he doesn't believe in the slogan, and Philip Pullman said it should be "boycotted by all literate people". Hence, you have an even bigger chance of building a hoard if you want to.

Pompous idiots. 

How many of the population actually give 2 wotsits either way? They just see a 50p and the vast majority never even look more closely than that.

I hope they were tongue in cheek remarks.

• Like 1

If Alastair Campell doesn't want to accept the Brexit 50p, then it is simply his choice and he is not bothering anyone. 

However, I do find the statement "it should be boycotted by all literate people" somewhat insulting. It implies that you are not really literate if you don't agree with using the "oxford comma". I am rather inclined to think that the majority of "literate" people believe that the "oxford comma" is optional in this situation. 

It's like saying to someone that they should never wear a blue suit to an interview and grey must be colour. It comes across as opinionated and rather out of touch. 

Edited by Sword
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sword said:

If Alastair Campell doesn't want to accept the Brexit 50p, then it is simply his choice and he is not bothering anyone. 

However, I do find the statement "it should be boycotted by all literate people" somewhat insulting. It implies that you are not really literate if you don't agree with using the "oxford comma". I am rather inclined to think that the majority of "literate" people believe that the "oxford comma" is optional in this situation. 

It's like saying to someone that they should never wear a blue suit to an interview and grey must be colour. It comes across as opinionated and rather out of touch. 

As you say, insulting. Not to mention supercilious and breathtakingly condescending.   

• Like 2

I saw Alistair Campbell on a ABC program called Q&A which is a current affairs program with the panel and audience stacked against some hapless right wing politician who is stupid enough to appear on the program. Much of the content is focused on climate change. In this case Campbell was attacking Brexit , the world's about to end , economic ruin, the electorate are stupid etc. etc. without any justification for his views. 

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Whatever, I'm still off to the mint tomorrow to get me one in a Jan31/2020 pack in the one-day only event.

Apparently, a member of the Brexit Party has also been to the Royal Mint in Wales to strike a coin for Donald Trump. The item was then presented by Farage himself to Trump. In return Trump gave him a cap with the slogan "Keep America Great"

I guess they don't spend much on presents!

Edited by Sword

31 minutes ago, Sword said:

Apparently, a member of the Brexit Party has also been to the Royal Mint in Wales to strike a coin for Donald Trump. The item was then presented by Farage himself to Trump. In return Trump gave him a cap with the slogan "Keep America Great"

I guess they don't spend much on presents!

s-l640.jpg

By the way, did anyone manage to get a Brexit 50p in your change? I haven't but  I have handled very little change in the last few months.

I have had two or three, but none since the shutdown - very little cause to use cash.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

By the way, did anyone manage to get a Brexit 50p in your change? I haven't but  I have handled very little change in the last few months.

One only.

Brexit? I had forgot all about that for some reason. Not seen a Brexit 50p in my change yet.

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I got a (sealed) bagful in my change. I have a very friendly barmaid at my local :)

I suspect that might prove a useful "keeper". With all the shutdown and increased pressure to go cashless, they may not get round to making/issuing the second tranche of 7 Million and so these will prove scarcer than originally expected.

@Paddy Indeed. I also ordered an annual set from the RM - it has the Team GB 50p but they've canned the games now, so that will be a non-event for this year too :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

@Paddy Indeed. I also ordered an annual set from the RM - it has the Team GB 50p but they've canned the games now, so that will be a non-event for this year too :)

It certainly makes the set more interesting and stand out from the other routine year sets 🙂 

Despite not a fan of modern year sets, I have got to say that the designs do look rather nice this time.

Edited by Sword

6 hours ago, Sword said:

It certainly makes the set more interesting and stand out from the other routine year sets 🙂 

Despite not a fan of modern year sets, I have got to say that the designs do look rather nice this time.

They do seem to manage the odd good design here and there, but far too many commemoratives look like they've been made as toys these days.