British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

One of the must have 2020 coin must be the Brexit 50p. Am I alone in thinking that the proposed design is just exceedingly poor. "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations" is just some sort of incredibly lame and meaningless sentence.

602872859_Royal-Mint-10-pence-BREXIT-coin-2019-1-Copy.jpg.e74d25d61a35dc29bef6e34ddf15dc30.jpg

Surely, the Royal Mint could have produced a "British" design that is tasteful, encouraging and can be admired by both Brexiteers and former Remainers, Remainers etc. They really should leave out the date as well - that's not necessary in my view. 

My top choice would be a detailed engraving of the Parliament and the Thames.  Something looking like:

1378863462_185672-Copy.thumb.jpg.395fe720bab2e7413343451469422897.jpg

A crown size piece is needed to do it justice.

One of my regrets is that we never made a cityscape coin. This would be the ideal time to make one.

I did also thought about the merits of bringing back a classical design like the Gothic crown reverse. However, it is important to look forward and not back and so I think we should do something new. 

Any ideas on a design?

(Let's not get heated discussions on the pros and cons of Brexit since it is definitely going to happen later in the month. And no more shooting in the foot design since we had seen them already. 😃 )

Edited by Sword

How about this Banksy that greeted people to my (current) home town of Dover, until the owner of the building it was painted on had it removed?

image.png.00a604456b6bdd417ff184aa52d01b17.png

• Like 1

To me the current design is classic PC bunkum, typical of the almost puritanical disregard for people's real needs and desires.

We need art, entertainment, enjoyment, excitement - not meaningless mealy-mouthed platitudes. You would have thought by now they had got the message - the wishy-washy original objectives for the Millennium Dome proved a disaster, but now focused on providing entertainment and enjoyment as the O2 arena, it is thriving.

• Like 2

I wonder if any of those March 2019 efforts ever made it out of the Royal MInt.

28 minutes ago, Paddy said:

To me the current design is classic PC bunkum, typical of the almost puritanical disregard for people's real needs and desires.

We need art, entertainment, enjoyment, excitement - not meaningless mealy-mouthed platitudes. You would have thought by now they had got the message - the wishy-washy original objectives for the Millennium Dome proved a disaster, but now focused on providing entertainment and enjoyment as the O2 arena, it is thriving.

Agreed 100% - the more I see of PC'ness, the more it seems so artificially contrived and irritating.

If we must have a coin to mark the transition, at least make it a decent one. A £2 would be better than a 50p.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

To me the current design is classic PC bunkum

Absolutely. If the Royal Mint can't be bothered with a design, then simply the words "Commemoration of Brexit" would be far more direct and unpretentious. 

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I wonder if any of those March 2019 efforts ever made it out of the Royal Mint.

It has been reported that they have all been melted down but I think it is rather likely that a few examples have been saved. I wouldn't be surprised if the odd examples will make it to auctions later on. The 1945 silver 3d comes to mind. 

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

If we must have a coin to mark the transition, at least make it a decent one. A £2 would be better than a 50p.

Indeed. A £2 would be more appropriate. I still think some crown-size pieces would be nice if they can come up with a decent design.

• Like 1

I've noticed in recent times a dramatic fall in the amount coins that I receive  in change for day to day transactions.Perhaps we should  consider if coins are going to feature as a future medium of exchange given the rise of debit cards and tap and go transactions. In addition the value of circulating coins is so low because of inflation.the cost of coins can exceed their face value.  The future of circulating coins may well be limited. This may explain the lack of effort shown in producing new issues and circulating coins. 

Edited by ozjohn

I am just gobsmacked that it could have had so many different dates on it

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

I've noticed in recent times a dramatic fall in the amount coins that I receive  in change for day to day transactions.Perhaps we should  consider if coins are going to feature as a future medium of exchange given the rise of debit cards and tap and go transactions. In addition the value of circulating coins is so low because of inflation.the cost of coins can exceed their face value.  The future of circulating coins may well be limited. This may explain the lack of effort shown in producing new issues and circulating coins. 

Yes.

An example is the canteen at my workplace. From April this year they will no longer be accepting cash. Only card payments, contactless, tap and go, and the like. Although I did hear that at one office, where this system is already in place, the technology froze one dinner time, and it was complete chaos. All the dinners had been prepared, but no-one could pay for them. In the end, staff did pay cash, and a number of IOU notes were written by the canteen manager because no change could be given.    

I find it a bit sad to be honest, because I feel we are being forced down a road we don't necessarily want to go down. How the office collections will be done in future, I really don't know. If a machine is used, you'll have to state exactly how much you want to give, rather than discreetly placing a few coins in a tin. That could be embarrassing.   

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes.

An example is the canteen at my workplace. From April this year they will no longer be accepting cash. Only card payments, contactless, tap and go, and the like. Although I did hear that at one office, where this system is already in place, the technology froze one dinner time, and it was complete chaos. All the dinners had been prepared, but no-one could pay for them. In the end, staff did pay cash, and a number of IOU notes were written by the canteen manager because no change could be given.    

I find it a bit sad to be honest, because I feel we are being forced down a road we don't necessarily want to go down. How the office collections will be done in future, I really don't know. If a machine is used, you'll have to state exactly how much you want to give, rather than discreetly placing a few coins in a tin. That could be embarrassing.   

There' probably a future for the green folding stuff. I always carry  50 to $100 in my wallet but as for low value circulating coins that's another matter

I find low denomination coins from 20p downwards fairly pointless these days. They worth little and have a habit of accumulating in the pocket or jar at home. I like contactless payment for low amounts just to avoid having to carry the weight of loose change. I would rather think it is a good idea to scrap the 5p, 2p, 1p coins. 

As I have previously expressed here, my main concern with moving to a cashless society is that "Big Brother" will know exactly where we are and what we are doing all the time. I suspect it would be the demise of the Flea markets and car boot sales too.

I presume this coin comes with another that says "Except islamic oil rich dictatorships that murder their own subjects"

602872859_Royal-Mint-10-pence-BREXIT-coin-2019-1-Copy.jpg.e74d25d61a35dc29bef6e34ddf15dc30.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

As I have previously expressed here, my main concern with moving to a cashless society is that "Big Brother" will know exactly where we are and what we are doing all the time. I suspect it would be the demise of the Flea markets and car boot sales too.

Yes, I 100% agree. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but there are times when anonymity is preferred, and without notes and coins, that won't be possible. 

It will also be the end of discount for cash by tradesmen.

Not to mention the redundancy of the High St bank

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Contactless payment doesn't necessarily mean a surveillance society. For examples, there are cities which use contactless stored value smart card that are anonymous. These card were originally used for transport payment but has grown to be used in convenience stores and supermarkets. 

In Australia the 1 and 2 cent coins have gone. Five cents being the lowest coin which is equivalent to the old sixpence and is the same size as the old sterling coin to this day as are the ten cents, one shilling and twenty cents, one florin. I think Australia is the only place where the original imperial coin sizes have been retained. Of course the fifty cent and the later one and two dollar coins were of a different size.

12 hours ago, Sword said:

I find low denomination coins from 20p downwards fairly pointless these days. They worth little and have a habit of accumulating in the pocket or jar at home. I like contactless payment for low amounts just to avoid having to carry the weight of loose change. I would rather think it is a good idea to scrap the 5p, 2p, 1p coins. 

I agree about the bronze. Did you know that the 1p is worth less in real terms than the farthing was when demonetised?

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

I agree about the bronze. Did you know that the 1p is worth less in real terms than the farthing was when demonetised?

I can believe it.

They're just not being used - and that's been the case for a very, very long time. Hence why you can very easily find 30 year old 1 & 2p pieces, still with almost full mint lustre.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Bronze? You meant copper plated steel 😀!

I would be surprised if that's not the case since the farthing has been demonetised for nearly 60 years now. 

"The Royal Mint had revealed 60% of 1 pence and 2 pence coins are only used once, while 8% of pennies are thrown away." This is so wasteful and it is just tradition keeping these coins alive. 

On 1/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, Sword said:

I would be surprised if that's not the case since the farthing has been demonetised for nearly 60 years now.

I did say "in real terms"!!

I have indeed mistaken one farthing for 0.25 new penny instead of 0.1 new penny. 

But I can still believe that a farthing had more purchasing power in the early 1960s (when it demonetised) than the purchasing power of a penny today. A farthing in 1960 could probably buy something like a cheap sweet, but absolutely nothing today costs as little as a penny.

Gave it a check using an inflation calculator, 1 pound in 1961 is worth £22.43 today. So a farthing would be worth 2.3 pence. 

Looks like the new Queen coin suffers fbrom the same poor design.

Edited by ozjohn
Typo

22 hours ago, Sword said:

I have indeed mistaken one farthing for 0.25 new penny instead of 0.1 new penny. 

But I can still believe that a farthing had more purchasing power in the early 1960s (when it demonetised) than the purchasing power of a penny today. A farthing in 1960 could probably buy something like a cheap sweet, but absolutely nothing today costs as little as a penny.

Gave it a check using an inflation calculator, 1 pound in 1961 is worth £22.43 today. So a farthing would be worth 2.3 pence. 

So we should wave bye bye to both bronzes (er, steel!) as both are worth less than the 1961 farthing. Charities may complain but frankly I'm more likely to put 5p or more in a tin than coins that make me look like a miserly cheapskate.

I would however hate to lose something called a "penny" so what do people suggest might get round this?

• Like 1

I am sure the Royal Mint will continue to include the penny in year sets. It will have legal tender (but please don't spend status). Not much of a change since people hardly spend them now anyway. There will also be silver versions.

• Like 1