Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hazelman

Gouby BP1862 C - Freeman 39 ?

Recommended Posts

 1 - have i referenced correctly?

2. What grade would you give this?

ResizerImage1862a.jpg

ResizerImage1862a1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, definitely a F39. I'd say toned GEF. 

Nice coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say EF...but it appears to have been dipped.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, definitely a F39. I'd say toned GEF. 

Nice coin.

I have this at Aunc - please walk me through why you have graded it lower?

37 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

I would say EF...but it appears to have been dipped.

 

Why does it appear dipped?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say minimum EF - there's a slight flattening of the plaits in the bun, and on the bodice itself.

Has it been cleaned? It has a rather 'glossy' look about it that doesn't appear natural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I would say minimum EF - there's a slight flattening of the plaits in the bun, and on the bodice itself.

Has it been cleaned? It has a rather 'glossy' look about it that doesn't appear natural.

Its been wiped with a cotton bud dipped in acetone.

Edited by hazelman
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

placed in acetone then dried a cotton bud dipped in aacetone. That was about 4 years ago and is now housed in coin capsule .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RLC35 said:

I would say EF...but it appears to have been dipped.

 

Indeed. As Chris said, it doesn't look quite natural. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the photo could be better - to me the light reflection made it look polished at first. Can you take some differently lit shots?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Acetone wouldn't alter the surface, other than to remove oils and grease. Maybe a harsh lighting effect, or a slight rub in the past. 

Jerry

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, hazelman said:

I have this at Aunc - please walk me through why you have graded it lower?

Why does it appear dipped?

 

The coin has a pale sheen, common to coins that have been cleaned, however without the mild "friction" lines common with harsh manual cleaning, leads me to believe it was dipped in a chemical solution......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob,

Thanks for your response, I can however say that i bought this coin many years ago and as i stated besides acetone bath I have not done anything else to this coin.

best regards

Fred

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks EF or perhaps a tad better. For a coin to be described as "about uncirculated" you really want traces of lustre or at least subdued mint gloss, and really only the most trivial of wear. 

Regarding the surfaces, they look similar to some 19th century French bronze pieces I have after cleaning with acetone for PVC residue; slightly buffed, but without any real damage associated with the cleaning. You'd have to be pretty fussy to treat it as a problem coin, but whether it affects value depends on how it appears in hand. The effect will probably lessen over the years if it's left alone. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JLS said:

It looks EF or perhaps a tad better. For a coin to be described as "about uncirculated" you really want traces of lustre or at least subdued mint gloss, and really only the most trivial of wear. 

Regarding the surfaces, they look similar to some 19th century French bronze pieces I have after cleaning with acetone for PVC residue; slightly buffed, but without any real damage associated with the cleaning. You'd have to be pretty fussy to treat it as a problem coin, but whether it affects value depends on how it appears in hand. The effect will probably lessen over the years if it's left alone. 

Particularly if the acetone has removed any protective grease/oil traces, so the air can now do it's work....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JLS said:

It looks EF or perhaps a tad better. For a coin to be described as "about uncirculated" you really want traces of lustre or at least subdued mint gloss, and really only the most trivial of wear. 

Regarding the surfaces, they look similar to some 19th century French bronze pieces I have after cleaning with acetone for PVC residue; slightly buffed, but without any real damage associated with the cleaning. You'd have to be pretty fussy to treat it as a problem coin, but whether it affects value depends on how it appears in hand. The effect will probably lessen over the years if it's left alone. 

JLS,

thanks for your thorough and clear response. 
 

regards

Fred

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortuntely Its been cleaned in some way for sure. I'm going with the dipped option based on the photo ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×