British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
hazelman

Gouby BP1862 C - Freeman 39 ?

1 - have i referenced correctly?

2. What grade would you give this?

ResizerImage1862a.jpg

ResizerImage1862a1.jpg

Yes, definitely a F39. I'd say toned GEF. 

Nice coin.

I would say EF...but it appears to have been dipped.

37 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Yes, definitely a F39. I'd say toned GEF. 

Nice coin.

I have this at Aunc - please walk me through why you have graded it lower?

37 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Why does it appear dipped?

I would say minimum EF - there's a slight flattening of the plaits in the bun, and on the bodice itself.

Has it been cleaned? It has a rather 'glossy' look about it that doesn't appear natural.

34 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I would say minimum EF - there's a slight flattening of the plaits in the bun, and on the bodice itself.

Has it been cleaned? It has a rather 'glossy' look about it that doesn't appear natural.

Its been wiped with a cotton bud dipped in acetone.

Edited by hazelman
update

placed in acetone then dried a cotton bud dipped in aacetone. That was about 4 years ago and is now housed in coin capsule .

3 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Indeed. As Chris said, it doesn't look quite natural. 

I think the photo could be better - to me the light reflection made it look polished at first. Can you take some differently lit shots?

• Like 1

Acetone wouldn't alter the surface, other than to remove oils and grease. Maybe a harsh lighting effect, or a slight rub in the past. 

Jerry

• Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, hazelman said:

I have this at Aunc - please walk me through why you have graded it lower?

Why does it appear dipped?

The coin has a pale sheen, common to coins that have been cleaned, however without the mild "friction" lines common with harsh manual cleaning, leads me to believe it was dipped in a chemical solution......

Bob,

Thanks for your response, I can however say that i bought this coin many years ago and as i stated besides acetone bath I have not done anything else to this coin.

best regards

Fred

• Like 1

It looks EF or perhaps a tad better. For a coin to be described as "about uncirculated" you really want traces of lustre or at least subdued mint gloss, and really only the most trivial of wear. 

Regarding the surfaces, they look similar to some 19th century French bronze pieces I have after cleaning with acetone for PVC residue; slightly buffed, but without any real damage associated with the cleaning. You'd have to be pretty fussy to treat it as a problem coin, but whether it affects value depends on how it appears in hand. The effect will probably lessen over the years if it's left alone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLS said:

It looks EF or perhaps a tad better. For a coin to be described as "about uncirculated" you really want traces of lustre or at least subdued mint gloss, and really only the most trivial of wear. 

Regarding the surfaces, they look similar to some 19th century French bronze pieces I have after cleaning with acetone for PVC residue; slightly buffed, but without any real damage associated with the cleaning. You'd have to be pretty fussy to treat it as a problem coin, but whether it affects value depends on how it appears in hand. The effect will probably lessen over the years if it's left alone. 

Particularly if the acetone has removed any protective grease/oil traces, so the air can now do it's work....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JLS said:

JLS,

thanks for your thorough and clear response. 

regards

Fred

unfortuntely Its been cleaned in some way for sure. I'm going with the dipped option based on the photo ...

• Like 1