British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

MODELCOINCOLLECTOR

Empire Settlement coins and others

Hello 

After collecting models for many years . i decided to go in a different direction.

I decided to collect British Empire Commonwealth settlement or where we touch base in all countries , but beside the easiest types . i love to know. know how many countries we touched . or are there lists , Basically i am starting from nothing , but willing to learn

Tony 

I did some research on this for a local collector a couple of years ago, but seem to have lost my list!

A good starting point is the list of Commonwealth countries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_Commonwealth_of_Nations

However this includes Mozambique, which was never British, and misses out many that have been in the Empire at some stage and have severed contacts, or been amalgamated into other nations. Also misses many places that are not "Members of the United Nations in their own right" to quote Pointless!

So a few to add:

Egypt, Palestine (protectorates in the early 20th century,
Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey etc (don't count as independent),
Ionian Islands,
Zanzibar (now part of Tanzania)
Demerary and Essequibo (Went into Guyana but has lovely early 19th century coins)
East Africa, British West Africa, British Caribbean Territories (which are now all several different countries)
The various provinces of Canada, (which formerly were more independent than now).

Probably others can add many more. Someone was quoted in a recent documentary as saying that 70% of the countries of the world have either been part of the British Empire or invaded by it at some point! (They did include Chile because some British pirates landed there once, which I think was stretching the point too far.)

On 1/2/2020 at 5:34 AM, Paddy said:

Probably others can add many more. Someone was quoted in a recent documentary as saying that 70% of the countries of the world have either been part of the British Empire or invaded by it at some point! (They did include Chile because some British pirates landed there once, which I think was stretching the point too far.)

I remember a book being written in 2012 or so that said all but three countries (or something like that) had been invaded in some way or other by the British - I don't remember them all but I think Mongolia was one and one of the land-locked ones in South America too.

Anyway, Jerome Remick's book, while out of print, I think probably covers all the Commonwealth countries, territories and settlements etc.

Edited by Mr T

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

I remember a book being written in 2012 or so that said all but three countries (or something like that) had been invaded in some way or other by the British - I don't remember them all but I think Mongolia was one and one of the land-locked ones in South America too.

Anyway, Jerome Remick's book, while out of print, I think probably covers all the Commonwealth countries, territories and settlements etc.

Closer to home, I think Sweden has never been invaded by the UK ? Although I guess some of modern day Sweden was ruled by Canute...

Edited by JLS

On 1/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, JLS said:

Closer to home, I think Sweden has never been invaded by the UK ? Although I guess some of modern day Sweden was ruled by Canute...

I think the book I remember considered only comparatively modern events - my history isn't great but a small number of British soldiers may have snuck into Sweden at some point in World War II (or maybe it was Norway)?

A few people I have met in Norway have described the Swedes as  'The English of Scandinavia '....

41 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

A few people I have met in Norway have described the Swedes as  'The English of Scandinavia '....

... I doubt that is meant as a compliment!

Exactly....!

Thankyou everyone for all the information i have been buying a few items on the internet , seems to be a lot of countries that we touch , any ideas to where i can get different types at a reasonable  price

Tony

If it is within reach, there is a coin fair at the Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham tomorrow morning starting at 9:30 and running until 2 o'clock or so depending on how busy it is. Forty-odd dealers with a wide range of material from ancient to modern. I always have foreign on the table, most of which are on the budget end of the price spectrum, so come along if you can and have a browse. We don't bite.

It's much better to see things in hand and going to a fair will give you a better appreciation of what is available together with prices. Ebay can be unhelpful when it comes to gaining knowledge about grades and prices, as not all coins for a quid are a bargain and a coin that is highly priced relative to book is not necessarily a rip-off. No two coins are equal.

• Like 1