British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Is this right for an 1861 F over P Halfpenny?

I am posting this for a friend in the US who is having trouble registering to post here.

1861 Halfpenny, I believe Obverse 6 and Reverse G. The F of Halfpenny has a noticeable lump that makes it look like a P. Is this how the F over P should look, or does that appear differently?

Close up:

1861 HD 6+G F over P query detail.jpg

... and the full coin to confirm we are on the right track:

1861 HD 6+G F over P query 1 Red.jpg

1861 HD 6+G F over P query 2 Red.jpg

LCA have plenty of images  https://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Halfpenny+1861+F+Over+P&searchtype=1

It is a strange one to me, some look very much like a die flaw, but a few of them look very passable for an overstrike. I really would like to see high magnification images of a good condition specimen, if any member has one.

Jerry

Yes, your coin is the said F/P. It is the same die pairing as my coin, Freeman obverse 6 with reverse G.

I have attached a picture of my 6+G Halp coin.

I also have a Halp coin of Obverse 7+G. I have heard rumours that other die pairs of Halp coins have been reported, including Reverse E !

Halp 6 closeup.jpg

424b.jpg

• Like 1

I concur with Bernie...

Looks as all legitimate F/P's look.

I too have it on reverse G, paired with both obverse 6 and 7.

I've seen other F/P claims with other obverse and or reverses, but I've yet to see one that I would accept as such. Not to say that they do not exist, merely that I haven't seen an example yet.

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

Thanks Paddy for posting on my behalf while I waited to be fully approved for these forums. 
The 1861 Half(p) Penny featured in this thread was found in a loose bag of mixed world copper I recently purchased. I love a good cherry-pick which is why predecimal coppers are so much fun. I spent some time down the rabbit hole of farthing varieties a while back, but my are those little guys hard on the eyes.

I’m not sure what I intend to do with the F/P. If I were to sell it, should I have it officially attributed beforehand or not. 

Thanks for all of your input thus far and for welcoming me to the site.