British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

Wot's happened to Spitfire Ale

Brought a cople of bottles of Spitfire Ale at our local bottle shop and noticed they have reduced the alcohol down to 4.5% from about  5%.

I noticed on my last trip to the UK that this had already been done to the on tap beer. After all the hype about the Battle of Britain associated with this beer

it seems that the Germans have won. They must be laughing!  Where is the CAMRA? or have they descended into politically correct toothless tigers?

This is a tax issue. A 500ml bottle at 4.5% pays a lower tax than a 5%. Difference per bottle : Tax on 5% = £0.477. Tax on 4.5% = £0.429.

The UK has some of the highest beer taxes in Europe and CAMRA are currently actively campaigning to get it reduced before we lose all of our high street pubs.

Tax or no tax Shepherd Neame and other UK breweries have managed to ruin  good beer. I've noticed Admans Broardside is an insipid 4.8% on tap in the UK but the bottled product still sold in Australia maintains 6.3% alcohol and ain't a bad drop. 

Just enjoyed a Admans Broardside. 4 for $20 at our local bottleshop, say GBP 2.50 / 500ml. which is not bad for an imported beer.

10 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Just enjoyed a Admans Broardside. 4 for $20 at our local bottleshop, say GBP 2.50 / 500ml. which is not bad for an imported beer.

Judging by the spelling, you drank at least all four, and probably more. Repeat after me - Adnams Broadside, Adnams Broadside.......... Then say it again in the morning. ;)

• Haha 3

So sorry your majesty and I hope you have a happy New Year!

10 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

So sorry your majesty and I hope you have a happy New Year!

And you too. Less than 24 hours to yet more alcoholic consumption :)

Not in Australia we're 10 hours  ahead of GMT.

Only got a Hook Norton 12 Days Porter left, Still a respectable 5.5% again the same deal 4 for $20. Adnams, Adnams etc.

Edited by ozjohn