British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
VickySilver

Heritage NYINC Sale - 1932 Proof Wreath? I think Not

Yikes, I feel relatively experienced in this wreath series and have conferred in earlier days with many of the experts and when I see such offerings I cringe. I don't blame Heritage, but rather PCGS. What say you (item 30870):

george-v-proof-crown-1932-5701214-XL.jpg

Pr

Edited by VickySilver

PGCS photos. 

1092412939_84195338_Large-Copy.thumb.jpg.1409503cfad37f24189d99ae1e89063f.jpg

Doesn't look like a proof to me, although I'm a relative novice to George V silver. Appear to be clear striking deficiencies on the portrait. Don't the proofs have sharp rims too ?

Pretty much. This appears to be a proof-like relatively ordinary coin here. The PCGS shot is a glamour version....The rims indeed are not all that sharp, but the big issue is the obverse portrait which is softly struck and has massive marks to the cheek and jaw areas (at least for a "65") whether or not one agrees to it not being a proof. Unfortunately the 1932s and 1934s which have the lowest mintage also have a greater percentage of Proof-Like currency strikes.

My grade is Uncirculated 63 (Proof Like), and not proof or even specimen. Actually my point was for potential buyers to beware of Wreaths other than 1927 offered as proof.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:48 PM, VickySilver said:

Pretty much. This appears to be a proof-like relatively ordinary coin here. The PCGS shot is a glamour version....The rims indeed are not all that sharp, but the big issue is the obverse portrait which is softly struck and has massive marks to the cheek and jaw areas (at least for a "65") whether or not one agrees to it not being a proof. Unfortunately the 1932s and 1934s which have the lowest mintage also have a greater percentage of Proof-Like currency strikes.

My grade is Uncirculated 63 (Proof Like), and not proof or even specimen. Actually my point was for potential buyers to beware of Wreaths other than 1927 offered as proof.

It is indeed surprising for it to be graded 65 with those marks on the cheek. 

Here is an encapsulated 1928 proof that was bought as part of an original 1928 Six Coin Silver Proof Set in a Spink auction late 1990s:

• 9r7td3ixpbtc.jpeg
    dtqr1ko1hx5d.jpeg

• Like 1